Urgent advice needed

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Urgent advice needed

Postby garyand claire » Mon May 02, 2016 2:23 am

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ADVISE
MOST PEOPLE ARE SAYING THE SAME THING........BUT I WAS AT A&E 2 WEEKS AGO........THEY GAVE HER FLUIDS AND SOMETHING FOR THE SHAKES......BUT
THEY WOULD NOT DETOX HER........THEY SAID THAT THEY NO LONGER DO IT IN A&E I GUESS THEY ONLY DO IN EXTREAM CASES

BUT TO ME...THIS IS EXTREME........SHE WAKES UP AND SHAKES FOR HOURS......EVEN AFTER 3 4 EVEN 5 SMALL SHOTS SPREAD OVER 4 HOURS...SHE STILL SHAKES

IM NOW SCARED TO GO TO WORK..... SO LIFE AS WE KNOW IT....IS GOING TO BE OVER

SHE WANTS TO GO TO MEETINGS....BUT IS EITHER SHAKING OR TO WOBBLY TO WALK

IM GOING TO TRY SPEAKING TO DOCTORS AGAIN TODAY......BUT IT SEEMS LACK OF FUNDING....COULD ACTUALLY KILL HER

I REALLY DONT KNOW....WHAT TO DO
garyand claire
Forums Newcomer

Postby Noels » Mon May 02, 2016 2:29 am

Hi Gary don't give up. Take her to the doctor with you. He needs to see her in the state you are seeing her. I am sure he will be in a position to insist in getting her admitted to a facility immediately but he HAS to see her in this state.
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Mon May 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Did you go to a state hospital or a private hospital. I'm not exactly sure of the legalities but I know a state hospital cant turn patients away, even if they don't have insurance. If you cant get her immediate help at an ER call a doctor right away to see if he/she would help in getting her admitted.

This is what worked for me on two different occasions. The ER gave me fluids and Librium then released me after 4 hours with a prescription for a small amount of Ativan. I was an every day drinker and that was enough for me. But I guess our bodies react in different ways and if you feel she still needs help then you have to act accordingly.

The third time I went to the ER complaining of an irregular heart beat but was admitted for pancreatitis. I wonder if they checked her liver enzymes and if they did blood tests to find out if she has pancreatitis. Each of those two things if abnormal are enough for an admission and several people I know were in the Intensive Care Unit for at least a week because of the results of those tests.

Unfortunately, the new trend seems that hospitals don't want to be bothered with alcoholics.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby garyand claire » Wed May 04, 2016 7:31 am

MESSAGE TO YOU ALL

DESPITE BEING TURNED AWAY BEFORE.........I TOOK HER TO BOURNEMOUTH A&E ON MONDAY......AND SHE WAS ADMITTED ......THANK GOD

I HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO RESPOND TO ALL POSTS, SINCE THEN AS IM LOOKING AFTER 2 HOMES A DOG AND TRYING TO KEEP MY JOB AS WELL AS 2 VISITS A DAY TO THE HOSPITAL

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE....... SHE HAS BEEN ON LIBRIUM FOR 3 DAYS NOW AND TODAY SHE MANAGED TO EAT SOMETHING ! AND SOME FRUIT

I AM VERY BUSY AT THIS VITAL STAGE.......BUT I WILL BE BACK WITH UPDATES AND MAYBE OFFER ADVICE TO NEWBIES LOL

THANKS AGAIN,,,,,,,IF IT WASNT FOR JOINING THIS SITE.......I WOULD NOT HAVE ATTEMPTED HOSPITAL AGAIN AS WERE WERE TURNED AWAY BEFORE, BUT WITH YOUR HELP AND ADVICE I WENT THERE AND INSISTED SHE NEEDED HELP, AND WERE HOPING THAT UPON HER RELEASE THERE WILL BE SOME AFTERCARE AND SHE WILL BE IN LOCAL MEETINGS AS SOON AS SHE CAN.
THANKS AGAIN.......GARY
garyand claire
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:50 am

Great man. Thanks for the update. Hope your GF finds a home group that can help her work the 12 steps and have a spiritual awakening.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Wed May 04, 2016 7:54 am

Thanks for coming back and telling us, and caring for her the way you are doing, good man.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Wed May 04, 2016 11:55 am

This is excellent news! You see how knowing we are not alone and helping each other helps others!!! :D

Take advantage of the family portion of the program. They will be helpful too.

Godspeed & Peace to you. And thanks for taking care of the animals! Their unconditional love will come in handy! :wink:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby cpr123 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:35 pm

This is great news.
cpr123
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer