Helping physical craving in early days

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Helping physical craving in early days

Postby Noels » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:47 am

Hi I'm Noels and I am 7 months sober today.
When I stopped drinking I found the following helped when physical craving for alcohol for present :
Sweets - alcohol contains a lot of sugar which the body miss so eating sweeties helped
Dried peaches
Sweet tea and reducing coffee /caffeine intake
Very important - make sure you eat regularly. Whenever I felt hungry I would crave liquor
Love and light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Re: Helping physical craving in early days

Postby PaigeB » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks Noel. I was going to suggest that we have a book, which is Conference approved literature, called Living Sober which is often suggested to newcomers. As I recall is it a slim book and relates many practical tips (like yours) for the early days of sobriety.

Though you cannot read it free on line, you can procure it through this link on our (USA/CAN) GSO website
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/aa-liter ... ving-sober
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Robert R » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:41 am

Hi Noels, I found the 'Living Sober" booklet a very useful and powerful tool to use in early sobriety. It along with the 'Just for Today' card gave me a solid foundation on a daily basis to move forward to a point where my head cleared enough to start working through the steps with another alcoholic using the Big Book.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby D'oh » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:34 am

Don't forget Sauerkraut, Crushed Tomatoes, and Corn Syrup. Like the early members used. They said it works, but I cringe even thinking about it.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Noels » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:40 am

Eish. I'd rather stick to the sweeties :mrgreen: and lost 7 kilos whilst loading me up with sugar mind you :D
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:53 am

I like sauerkraut, tomatoes & sweet syrup, but not together... but who knows?

Eating right helped me lose my sober weight. Breakfast is key, just like they always said. And oatmeal, with maple syrup instead of ice cream at night... I need to get back to doing what I am telling you! LOL
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:10 pm

:D
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer