is there a place for me here?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

is there a place for me here?

Postby Malinche » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:02 am

hi, im an alcoholic
apart from being an alcoholic im also an athiest. so much of what i read here, and hear in meetings seems to be so dependant on a belief in god.
I dont want to argue about faith or belief.
But i want and need a community like me, but feel like i dont fit in here.
Is there a place for me?
Mal
Malinche
Forums Newcomer

Re: is there a place for me here?

Postby Malinche » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:13 am

i dont want to make people angry.
i just really need help...
Malinche
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:46 am

Please, there are more atheist than you think who have successfully applied the principles of the 12 steps to overcome the malady.

Please read page 25 under "There is a solution". Bill W right away talks about cleaning up ourselves. Thats a key.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Malinche » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:01 am

thankyou. im not seeing it right now. but im goint to keeep reading to try and find the solution.
im trying.
Malinche
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:07 am

There is a solution. Almost none of us liked the self- searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at out feet. We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed.

The great fact is just this, and nothing less: That we have had deep and effective spiritual experiences* which have revolutionized our whole attitude toward life, toward our fellows and toward God's universe. The central fact of our lives today is the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous. He has commenced to accomplish those things for us which we could never do by ourselves.

We start experiencing power after we start putting down resentment, fear and relationshiop issues. Bill then says we will create a better relationship with others.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:56 am

Welcome to e-AA Malinche. The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop drinking. You would be surprised how many of us atheists have long term sobriety.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:35 am

Hi Malinche! I too am an atheist. I was urged to practice semantics regarding all the god talk in AA.

They say "god" and I hear, "AA".... Now, that did take some practice. I had to practice love and tolerance of others, something any human can practice, while I waited for my original discomfort to settle. I really wanted what these folks had - freedom from slavery to alcohol - and since I did not believe there was an interactive Higher Power making all the changes, I had to see what they were actually DOing and when I did what they did I got what they had.

I think it is all the same, we just call it different things. :D Glad you are here!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:09 am

Malinche wrote:hi, im an alcoholic
apart from being an alcoholic im also an athiest. so much of what i read here, and hear in meetings seems to be so dependant on a belief in god.
I dont want to argue about faith or belief.
But i want and need a community like me, but feel like i dont fit in here.
Is there a place for me?
Mal

Hi Malinche and welcome.

As has already been said, the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. The AA program is a spiritual program, not a religious program, and everyone who has a drinking problem is welcome at meetings. AA does have what are called "freethinkers" meetings, live AA meetings for atheist/agnostic AA members and some of them are listed in local AA directories. There is also a website called Staten Island Alcoholics Anonymous at Spammer which lists freethinkers meetings throughout the US and Canada as well as other kinds of AA meetings like Young Peoples meetings or meetings in languages other than English like Arabic, Russian, Japanese, etc. There are also dozens of online freethinkers groups listed in AA's online intergroup directory. You can find them by clicking on the link here:

http://www.aa-intergroup.org/directory.php.

Glad you found this forum. Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby BPG » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:26 am

Hi Mal

The 'God stuff' almost caused me to avoid AA. Ultimately it did not. Thank God. :D

You can see from the posts above that AA is a big tent, with room for all who want to quit drinking. Some members will suggest otherwise, but you can safely ignore them. Your spiritual journey through the 12 steps must be made in accordance with your own inner compass. Anything else would not be rigorously honest, and the AA program demands rigorous honesty.

All AAs can agree on a few things, however. One of them is that this program will lead you to a life of meaning and purpose, if you embrace it fully.

Welcome!
BPG
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Larryp713 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:21 pm

I know a lot of atheists in AA, so I don't think that disqualifies you. You will need to tolerate a lot of people talking about God, because for me and many others, that is important in our recovery. But I think if you focus on the similarities and are honest, willing, and open-minded, you will find your own conception of a higher power and be able to adopt this design for living. I hope you do find, in this fellowship or elsewhere, the support you need. Good luck! Larry
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!
Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Postby Duke » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:45 pm

I'm pretty sure my first sponsor was an atheist, but although I knew him for many years, I'm still not certain. I also know few people with faith as strong as his. Since the concept of a higher power is completely up to you, your paticular belief
about a traditional concept of God is irrelevant. My experience with a whole lot of folks Is that as long as you are open minded about their beliefs, they will be open minded about yours. There's no God contest in AA.

Good luck.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:53 am

Welcome! I came to AA with no belief in a Higher Power and I'd had no religious background in our home, my mom was aetheist and there was no talk of spiritual or psychological things at home.

The only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking. If you want to stop drinking then you are very welcome to join us.

Usually we don't talk much of our own spiritual conceptions. We ask ourselves what the spiritual terms in our book Alcoholics Anonymous mean to us as individuals. Everyone finds that their own concepts of those terms are enough to carry out the necessary work on the 12 steps to recovery.

Glad you found e-AA. :)
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Robert R » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:18 am

Welcome Malinche, If alcohol has cost you more than money then you have earned your seat at the AA table!!! Please don't allow any man, woman or concept to deny you your rightful place in the fellowship.
Having been homeless for a period before entering AA my first Higher Power was the electric heaters in the meeting rooms :lol:
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Return to For the Newcomer