Alcohol And Diverticulosis

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Alcohol And Diverticulosis

Postby bigalcalbisque » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:31 pm

I was diagnosed with Diverticulosis several years ago. I have noticed when ever I have an attack (Diverticulitis) which is a real bummer by the way, it always seems to be when I have been drinking fairly heavy for a couple of days. It usually happens with-in 2 or 3 days after I have been drinking fairly heavy. Has anybody here noticed that about this disease and their drinking habits, if so, I would like to hear your thoughts about it.
Thanks, Al
bigalcalbisque
Forums Newcomer

Re: Alcohol And Diverticulosis

Postby Brock » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:02 pm

Welcome to e-AA Al, yours is not the type of question we usually get. I did not know much about the condition you suffer from, so I read up a bit on it, this part stood out for me -
A diverticulitis diet will not treat the condition completely; however, it helps to ward off symptom flare ups. Alcohol consumption will complicate the condition extensively.

The question I suppose you must ask is since alcohol is something you should avoid, can you avoid it on your own will power, and still enjoy life, that's what the folks here have learned to do.

It's not that difficult once you make up your mind, and AA is easy to find, this site would help with that - aahttp://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-local-aa
if you have any other questions feel free to ask, wishing you the best with your disease and hope you think hard about giving AA a try.
PS. If you have trouble with that link, please go to AA.org and you will find the meeting locator.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby bigalcalbisque » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think this was the best place to pose the question but I do appreciate your feedback. I have been to AA in the past and it didn't work very well for me. I did cut down a lot on my alcohol use/abuse on my own. But what I had been doing after that is binge drinking every couple of weeks if I go camping, I was associating camping and relaxing with alcohol. It was enjoyable and I really couldn't hurt anyone but myself, in other words, no arguments, no drinking and driving, etc. (I didn't drink and drive anyway). Having the Diverticulitis attacks, I believe in part or the whole to the binge drinking is probably going to kill me. My biggest issue now that I have to deal with is getting rid of the good time association with alcohol. Many years ago, I had a friend in college that said to me. "My Dad told me if I have to drink alcohol to enjoy life, then I really can't enjoy life at all." I have always carried that with me, didn't practice it but always remembered it. I now know what I have to do.
Again thanks for your response.
Al
bigalcalbisque
Forums Newcomer

Postby Chelle » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:26 pm

Hi Al and welcome to e-aa.
I know many of people who have tried AA and it didnt work for them the first and sometimes 15th time (my husband included) who came back to the program and are now free of their obsession to drink. Some people just have to get beat down enough. So far, I have been very lucky to have quit on my first time in AA.

You sound like you know how your story is going to end, and it does NOT have to. I dont know much about the diverticulosis, other than it is not pleasant, but binge drinking I am very familiar with. If it was simple enough to get sober by not going camping, I would have quit camping :D

Good that you are posting here and I hope that you stick around. Perhps you could give AA another shot and try a meeting. Every person I have evere met in the rooms and here only wants one thing from me..to give them an opportunity to show me how they got sober..and stayed sober. It is a wonderful thing!
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Postby KathyAnne » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:51 am

Hi Bigalcalbisque, I'm 5 yrs sober nearly and I was diagnosed last year with Diverticulist (moderate) I was very upset about this (Thankgod I had the program) but it explained why I've had trouble downstairs. Drinking didn't help in fact I wonder if it helped cause it! I did a load of research online and didn't continue with meds from doc as they made me feel ill and having been on anti depressants for yrs during my drinking and abusing headache tablets for the awful hangovers I no longer wanted to take medication. So I found a natural supplement and it helps a lot. Also had to cut down or cut out chocolate and fatty things. I have trouble now and again but it's a lot better. So good to be sober today and not have all that worry shame & guilt.
Wish you luck.
KathyAnne
Forums Contributor

Postby Lali » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:38 am

Alcohol abuse causes many problems and if you already have a condition, alcohol will make It worse. You have probably been given a diet for your problem and I bet alcohol isn't on it. If you aren't sure, ask your doctor.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby DCLarston13 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:10 pm

I have Diverticulitis and I am struggling with sobriety, I can tell you in my case alcohol really fouls up my gut.
DCLarston13
Forums Newcomer

Postby DennisD » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Welcome to e-AA. I've recently found this place and there are always people around with very good information who answer just about anything :) I don't have much of substance to add but I wanted to welcome you here.
I'm on my way, I'm on my way to better days, I'll find my way - Breaking Benjamin, Better Days
DennisD
Forums Enthusiast

Return to For the Newcomer