New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Postby Paul » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to all this, well AA that is, I've struggled with drink for many years and now after 4 months dry on my own need some support? Never tried this so any advise help would be appreciated, am struggling through at the moment a very unhappy sober person
Paul
Forums Newcomer

Re: New member

Postby Stepchild » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Welcome Paul. I too...Struggled with my drinking for many years. To tell you the truth...AA is something I didn't want to have anything to with. My drinking got so out of hand...I had a brother that threw me into a rehab...As he put it...Rather than watch me die. I was introduced to the book Alcoholics Anonymous there and I dived into it. It explained my problem to me like nobody ever had. There is a section called The Doctor's Opinion...That and the first three chapters describe it well. I could relate. I recommend you read it...And reread it...See if you relate. Get to a meeting if you can...Just go and listen....You can ask any questions about the book...Or AA in general here. We help each other. The book is available free online....Glad you found the place.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby Robert R » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Welcome Paul, Great that you are reaching out and have recognised that merely not drinking is not the solution to what ails us. In the fellowship of AA I met folks who had been where I was and they had a solution to what ailed me. They shared the simple solution with me, which I grasped onto with fervour. As a result I have enjoyed the best 8 years of my life to date, alcohol free and at peace with myself, my fellows and the world around me. There for you too my friend.
Worth repeating here the line quoted at the top of this page: "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.. .."

Robert
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby ezdzit247 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:49 pm

Paul wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new to all this, well AA that is, I've struggled with drink for many years and now after 4 months dry on my own need some support? Never tried this so any advise help would be appreciated, am struggling through at the moment a very unhappy sober person

Hi Paul and welcome.

Congratulations on 4 months sober!

If you haven't been to an AA meeting yet, you can call the number listed for your local AA helpline to find out the meetings closest to your home. If you would like to speak to a sober AA member, your local AA helpline will find someone for you to talk to and ask any questions you have about the AA program. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about AA here too.

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:14 pm

Welcome to e-AA Paul, the words you use “struggling” and “unhappy” are very familiar to me, and all those I have seen who try to quit drinking on their own will power. Our book speaks of 'happy joyous and free,' and the fact that the problem 'no longer exists for us.' I have found this to be true and it's not half as hard as it looks to achieve, give the AA program a try you will see these things for yourself, all the best to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Welcome Paul. I know how you feel. After I quit drinking on my own, I quickly went emotionally off the tracks. Things got better as I worked the steps and also got engaged in the fellowship.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby tyg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:25 am

Welcome Paul, hope to read more of you!

Online AA is a wonderful asset to my recovery but it could not replace my face2face AA. Sitting down with another alcoholic to show me how to apply these 12 steps in my life was important. I need the face2face fellowship to carry the message & reach out to help others, meet people, interact with them and build relationships in AA. So many experiences, friendships and other things that online AA isn't able to offer.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:15 am

Face to face contact with other alcoholics was my beginning in the program. I looked in their eyes and saw the truth... They had recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. I wanted what they had and they were willing, even happy, to share with me what worked for them.

No matter where you are in the world, AA is there and available to assist you. There is Hope. We have a solution that works no matter where you are or what you believe. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, we have a solution. Follow the links on this page to find a meeting near you.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer