Compulsive drinker

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Compulsive drinker

Postby Stepchild » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:17 pm

Ravensgrl wrote:Yeah I guess unmanageable can take a lot of different meanings.

This is how they describe it in the book...

We had to ask ourselves why we shouldn't apply to our human problems this same readiness to change our point of view. We were having trouble with personal relationships, we couldn't control our emotional natures, we were a prey to misery and depression, we couldn't make a living, we had a feeling of uselessness, we were full of fear, we were unhappy, we couldn't seem to be of real help to other people
pg 52

When they say we couldn't make a living....They aren't talking about holding a job. They're talking about making a life.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby Ravensgrl » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:36 pm

I went to a meeting tonight. It was a pretty small group. A woman I met at my first meeting picked me up. There were a lot of older guys went around the room and spoke. I didn't necessarily relate to them, but it did get me thinking of my own story. On the way home, I did tell some of that story to my new aa friend. And we're laughing at some of the ridiculousness of it all and I mean that in that I have a million different drinking stories that I can find humor in. Things that sucked big time but are hilarious now. I have a million different stories that i can tell that mostly just prove how lucky I am that one of them didn't turn into a real hard rock bottom. Well she said she'd take me to all the meetings she goes to if I want. So, we're going to go to a meeting tomorrow.
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Sounds like you're doing really good. Going to different meetings worked really well for me too.

Keep coming back...
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lcampio101 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:03 pm

I sent you a message, I'd love to chat with you. I M also new to this program and today is my first day sober, someone was nice enough to send me their number and talked to me for almost N hour on the phone. I'm feeling blessed already, just talking to this person makes me feel I have hope. I never wanted to admit I was an alcoholic either, I was forced to go to meetings after my dui years ago. Now I am crying out for help because I genuinely want it. I can't drink n it's still hard to accept but I think I'm going to a meeting tomorrow n going to try to get some numbers. I'm going insane living like this and it's disgusting.
Lisa Marie
Lcampio101
Forums Newcomer

Postby Ravensgrl » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:34 pm

I just sent you a message. I hope you go to a meeting tomorrow.
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:15 pm

I love that you are getting proactive about this thing. I am curious, in one of your earlier posts you said that you had read some literature - what did you read? Do you have a copy of the Big Book yet? I don't know if anyone told you that you can read the Big Book online for free.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Ravensgrl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:38 am

I read a pamphlet for newcomers, one for women. I found the big book online. I scanned it looking for examples of my story. I found some in the part II section where they talk about earlier stages and what they call potential alcoholics that I could relate to. A lot of the other stories talked about asylums and hospitalizations and that I could not relate to.
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Reborn » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:53 am

If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it-then you are ready to take certain steps.

I remember when I was new and said to my sponsor "I don't know if I want what you guys have" he replied "Well do you want what you have?"...the answer was no. Then I said "I don't know about this God thing you all are talking about" he said "What if God just wants you to be happy"...hmmm hard to argue with those two things. Ask yourself if you want what you currently have in your life...if the answer is no you are ready for the solution AA offers.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Ravensgrl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:02 am

I was talking to my new friend in AA about this girls night about a year ago. My friend had a few of us over and she had 6 or 7 bottles of wine that she'd gotten from this wine of the month club. And I remember thinking if I were in a wine of the month club there's no way I would have been able to save 6 or 7 bottles. On rare occasions I've kept one bottle unopened for a night and then given in. So I guess that is my answer, I am not a normal drinker.
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Roberth » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:45 am

Hello Ravensgrl and welcome. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. I have good news and we have better news.
First the Good news: We don’t care if you are an alcoholic or not. All we ask is that you want to stop
And the Better News is if you do want to stop you'lI never have to take another drink if you don’t want too, and even if you want to you won’t have to if you are willing to do a few simple things.
all you need to start is ask for some help......
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Ravensgrl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks Robert, I went to my third meeting today. I feel pretty lucky that I've met someone in AA that has been taking me to meetings. I live in Baltimore and there are a lot of meetings to choose from, which is great but overwhelming. I remember before I went to meetings I would pour over all the options and never be able to pick one. But going with her gives us a chance to talk about things on the way to and from meetings. I tell her things about my drinking that kind of confirms that this is a good place for me.
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Spirit Flower » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:15 pm

Yay R-girl!
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Ravensgrl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks, I haven't done anything except get to a few meetings and make a friend, but it feels pretty big, like i have a lot of work to do. Right now I'm just trying to keep the momentum going. You all helped me get to a meeting and realize I don't have to wait till I lose everything to get help.
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Layne » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:55 pm

Goodatcha Ravensgrl. It is big! Way to go. Keep moving forward. I am glad for you.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:50 am

:D
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

PreviousNext

Return to For the Newcomer