My current calamity.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: My current calamity.

Postby ann2 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:34 am

I am in awe.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I've called and woken up A.A. members too and gotten the same reaction. No judgement, just happy to be there.

I am so grateful to this fellowship.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Robert R » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:03 am

Congratulations on making the call. Taking action is where it's at.
We Scots do not show emotion well but that is twice you have brought a smile to my craggy old features today. Folks round here will be thinking I've gone soft in the head. :lol:
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby Hanna » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:34 am

So happy to hear from you, sounds like you've got some momentum there! Don't stop, I didn't, I just kept coming back and taking suggestions from people who knew what I was going through.
We are alcoholics and we are here in the forums and in the rooms of your local AA meetings and yes on the phone in the middle of the night ready to help the next still suffering alcoholic. We are here because we were once where you are. Keep coming back, we will help you along the way.
It has been 3 1/2 yrs since I discovered this and I am still amazed at how it works! I look forward to seeing you in the forums.
Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:00 pm

I called several nights in a row and then the gal told me her direct number. I was calling around 1-2 am and months later I found out that she had to get up at 430 to get ready and drive to work! Never once did she let on that she was too tired to talk to me - quite the opposite... She was full of Hope.

I tried getting to the meetings by myself - I couldn't stay sober too many hours after waking up, so I was looking to go to a noon meeting. Still, I just couldn't do it. I drove there and could not tell which building had the meeting, the parking lot was full, or there was no one around (so I thought). One day, it was her day off or she was on her break (I never asked) I called during the day and told her I just couldn't do it... I was going to need someone to come pick me up. You see, I had been taking a 6 pack along with me "just in case" and it was far more compelling than an uncertain door. Well, she called around and could not find a ride for me, but found someone who needed a ride and gave me the address and time to pick that gal up. I could not very well NOT show up for her right? So I got her and I got to a meeting.

I didn't hold onto any real Hope though. I figured I would just give my liver a break for a couple of months. Turns out that these people had so much hope - such confidence that I could have what they had if I just did what they did - it wore off on me! I drove women to meetings several times a week for many months, but it was not too many weeks before I had my first real hope... I realized that I could not remember the last time I thought about taking a drink. What? WAIT! ... Nope, I couldn't remember, it had been at least a few days.

I knew for myself that this thing works. It had already worked for me.

Read the Dr.'s Opinion and Bill's Story in our book, Alcoholics Anonymous. Read a few of the stories after page 165. http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/read-the- ... traditions
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:38 pm

Hanna wrote:So happy to hear from you, sounds like you've got some momentum there! Don't stop, I didn't, I just kept coming back and taking suggestions from people who knew what I was going through.
We are alcoholics and we are here in the forums and in the rooms of your local AA meetings and yes on the phone in the middle of the night ready to help the next still suffering alcoholic. We are here because we were once where you are. Keep coming back, we will help you along the way.
It has been 3 1/2 yrs since I discovered this and I am still amazed at how it works! I look forward to seeing you in the forums.
Hanna

Thank you, Hanna, for sharing your experience, strength and hope. I quoted your post above because I liked it so much.

Linux, you made a big step by contacting an AA member with your story. Did the man that you spoke to apprise you of meetings in your area? You stated In your original post that you would probably ignore any advice to go to a meeting. I hope you reconsider.

Nothing changes, if nothing changes.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Great to hear that you have called!

Now get to a meeting. Even if you have slipped or have had a few. Meet some of us face to face and get numbers, a safety net. I know that you can do it, you have made it this far.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby whipping post » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi Linux,

If you think getting responses here or talking over the phone is great go to a meeting. You will be in a room full of people who have all been where you are at! People who know how you feel. Yet they are laughing and carrying on. There is nothing like it. I was in your shoes over a year ago and the hopelessness has been gone for almost that long. The people here and at the meetings saved my life no doubt about it. Please go and see for yourself!
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer