Tjink I posted in the wrong forum

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Tjink I posted in the wrong forum

Postby richjoy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:49 am

Sorry, I posted this in the discussions before I realized it was the wrong one. so I a posting it here also.

HI I am new to AA. I attended my first meeting, and the people were great! But, still I am not sure how it all works. Please tell me if this is the right concept. It is my responsibility to stop drinking on my own, but the meetings help me with issues related to drinking, so I have others to share with. And, at some point I get a sponsor who also helps me with rough times? Is this right? I am not sure what I expected to find, but no one really discussed anything on how to get started and I was so confused I didn't know what to ask. Are there meetings just for new people to explain how it all works? The one I went to was a chapter study.

Everyone there seemed so happy to have stopped, but I dont know how to get to that point. I have tried on many occasions to stop and cant do it. SO that is why I am puzzled how it all fits together.

I read your links on how things work and I think I have the right idea on how to do it but want to make sure.
Thanks for any clues on how to get started, I really want to be successful this time.
richjoy
Forums Newcomer

Re: Tjink I posted in the wrong forum

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:52 am

True. We have to do it but then the queer mental twist takes us back to the first drink and the vicious cycle starts. Thats why a thorough understanding of the first step is important. Then having convinced you are really doomed without help, you start working the reminder of the steps. With the help of people in the fellowship. Specifically with a sponsor.

Then you start experiencing all the promises of the program. You will be rocketed into the 4th dimension of living.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:09 am

Hi! Welcome! :)

Introduce yourself to some of the people at the AA meeting and let them know you would like to find someone to take you through the 12 steps. You can find the book Alcoholics Anonymous online. Also buy a copy at the next meeting you can get to. Read it from the beginning for the first few chapters. This gives the description of the alcoholic and takes you through Step 1 and then further reading is about Step 2.

There should be some members in the groups who can answer any questions you may have and also here at e-AA we will be happy to help you in any way we can.

You are definately on the right track and so starting to read the book is a good ideal starting point.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:47 am

I had a hard time trusting people and reaching out because I assumed I had to do something in return and I was not going to go that way. I eventually found people seemed on the up and up and more over wanting everyone to succeed in sobriety. the process took some time and eventually I was able to accept people and the desire for me to have what they had in sobriety.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby whipping post » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:13 am

Hi Rich,

There are different types of meetings. There should be a meeting list online for your area or they should have one available at any meeting.

Working the steps is the key to losing the obsession with alcohol. Look for a sponsor who can help take you through the steps.When looking for a sponsor go to the meetings and listen carefully to what people share and watch them before and after the meeting. Look for someone who talks about the steps. It works. It really does.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:35 pm

I found that I had to use AA the way I used alcohol... at the very least. For me, that was about every waking moment of the day, so I went to meetings early and stayed late, I went to coffee afterward and called people on the phone just to talk (or freak out lol). I read the Big Book and the 12 & 12 before I read them with my sponsor and I used AA online for late meeting or when I could not get out to a meeting and I found the Daily Reflections online as a way to make sure I had a little AA every morning!

Jump in the pool ~ the water is great!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:53 pm

Hello Rich and welcome to E-AA, and welcome to AA as well. AA is about finding a power that will relieve us from our alcoholism and let us lead an alcohol free life. And we do that one day at a time. Being new all of things you hear may not make much sense but trust me if you‘re willing to do a few simple things you will start to having those “aha” moments you will hear about.
A sponsor is good to have to help to walk through the step and show you the principles for living a sober life. My sponsor show me how he did AA and I will be forever grateful to him for that.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Return to For the Newcomer