Day 14

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Day 14

Postby Beast of burden » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:55 am

If I start drinking, I know I'm going to die. I came very close to the edge. I never want to go to that place again.
Today is Day 14. I feel good about my progress so far, but I'm worried about thinking I have this under control relapsing this week.
Beast of burden
Forums Newcomer

Re: Day 14

Postby Robert R » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:45 am

Hi there and welcome, are you doing this alone or have you attended meetings for support/advice from others who have already travelled this path?

Robert
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:17 am

If I start drinking, I know I'm going to die

I was made aware that is just the physical part of the disease early on in my recovery. The main problem is the mental part of powerlessness. The mind, will trick us into believing that this time its going to be fine. This is how! And we start that vicious cycle. Thats what the program of AA helps us overt. If you want to educate more and launch into recovery visit AA.org and start reading the book Alcoholic Anonymous, visit your local AA meetings surround yourself with AA atleast until you have a psychic change and then practice these principles forever and be of maximum use to others.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby OnPoint » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:03 am

Beast of burden wrote:I'm worried about thinking
Good point! In early sobriety it is probably best to check your thinking with another alcoholic pretty often. I was fortunate to find a sponsor at the first meeting that I attended. I called him a least twice a day for months.
OnPoint
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Beast of burden » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:28 am

Robert R wrote:Hi there and welcome, are you doing this alone or have you attended meetings for support/advice from others who have already travelled this path?

Robert

So far I'm doing it alone. It's gone really well, but everything I've read here makes me cautious about relaxing. I think I'm the type of person that can't stop once I start. It's a really insidious disease.
Beast of burden
Forums Newcomer

Postby Larryp713 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:21 am

Welcome and glad you are here. I wish you all the best, no matter what way you choose to try.

In AA, I have been taught that my experience is the best thing I have to share with others. I tried to stop and moderate for over 20 years, and though I had pockets of success (I was dry for over 2 years at one point), I was never free from my addiction. I avoided situations with alcohol and tried all sorts of life changes to remove my desire to drink. At that time, I could go weeks without thinking about drinking, but the desire/obsession would always return. When I came face to face with the first drink, I had no defense.

It was only when I surrendered, which means I became willing to do the things people in AA told me to do, that I finally experoenced relief from this obsession to drink. Today, almost 14 months sober, I rarely if ever think about drinking. When I do, it is just a fleeting thought. There is no longer an obsession or desire to drink. It is a miracle.

I can't tell you how it works. I can only tell you that I started working the program from the Big book with a sponsor, attending meetings, talking with other alcoholics, praying, and trying to be of service to others. When I started doing this, my obsession to drink was gone. It just wasn't there. I am not cocky about this. In fact, I am still amazed and grateful. I also know that the obsession will return if I stop doing the things I am doing and start living life by my will again. I don't know how I know that, but I do. Others have told me it happened to them.

There are probably many ways to recover from alcoholism, but this is the only way that worked for me. And today I have a life that is more wonderful than I dared to hope was possible. That is why I love sharing my story. If I can give hope to another who is suffering from this disease, I have had a great day. Please keep coming back. Read the messages from those who have recovered. And take that incredibly difficult step into a local AA meeting. Introduce yourself and express your desire to stop drinking. You will be joining a fellowship of the most incredible people I have ever met. I wish you well!!! Larry
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!
Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Postby clouds » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:26 am

Welcome!

Get to some AA meetings. Listen until you find some people there that have done the 12 steps and ask them for their phone number. Give them a call and ask them to take you through the steps. We need to develope a new way of living to stay sober. Just putting the plug in the jug isnt enough!

Good on that you have been able to stay sober for two weeks. Take care and get some help from AA. I couldn't have gotten sobriety without AA. I tried on my own and failed, so I went to AA and that worked.

All the best to you and feel free to post any questions you might have.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:34 am

Beast of burden wrote:So far I'm doing it alone. It's gone really well, but everything I've read here makes me cautious about relaxing. I think I'm the type of person that can't stop once I start. It's a really insidious disease.

Hi Beast of burden and welcome.

Congratulations on 14 days of sobriety!

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Beast of burden wrote:So far I'm doing it alone. It's gone really well, but everything I've read here makes me cautious about relaxing. I think I'm the type of person that can't stop once I start. It's a really insidious disease.

It is insidious. We have to remain vigilant. BUT you don't have to do it alone.

I tried. I even stayed sober for quite a while. But I wasn't happy. Then I got drunk again and it lasted a few more years before I would try to get some help with not drinking.

Regarding my months sober alone, my hubby says, "You spent the whole time locked in a dark bedroom!" Argh. He is right too. You see, I did not need any reason to drink ~ I needed a reason to not drink AND I seem to need reminders all the time still!! After a few more years of drinking, I found that I couldn't live with it and I couldn't live without it. So I went to AA & I haven't found it necessary to take a drink since August 1, 2009. I go to meetings 3 or 4 times a week and I have a sponsor who took me through the Steps and I sponsor gals who I take through the Steps. It says on page 152 of out Big Book that AA is a substitute and vastly more than that. I have found it to be true! I am bonded with the people I know now, I have real relationships with them and with my family. I don't spend any time living in a darkened bedroom! I have found a new freedom and a new happiness that I never thought was possible.

Doing it alone and doing it in harmony with others gives us much different rewards! You may want to try doing the sober thing with others before you go out and drink again. I am glad I did.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Beast of burden » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:28 pm

I came directly home after work, didn't stop for any beer, which was my pattern. So I'm good for one for day. Day 15 coming up.
Thanks for all your thoughtful replies. I appreciate that you have taken the time to help me and others like me.
Beast of burden
Forums Newcomer

Postby OnPoint » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm glad you made it home. When I was new in sobriety I had to drive by my favorite 7-11 to get to my AA group. For months I refused to look at it when I drove by because it was such a habit to swing in there for a beer that I was afraid I would do it.
OnPoint
Forums Enthusiast

Postby 4thDimension » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:24 pm

Early sobriety if often a very tough time. It was suggested that I go to 90 meetings in 90 days. I also hit more than one meeting a day, on days that I had the time. I was just plain uncomfortable, and at least surrounding myself with program people allowed me a little peace for a while.

Get a sponsor and get into the steps today! The steps allow for contented sobriety. Also try to get a service commitment of some kind - making coffee for a meeting, setting up chairs, cleaning up afterward.

Good luck!
4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Robert R » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:10 am

Going it alone/relying on willpower nearly cost me my life. Homeless and sectioned into a mental hospital I at last attended AA. Here were folks who were living life free, willing to share what they had with this old alkie. They too had been where I was and knew the way out. They gave me their map (programme) and guided me to the best 7 years of my life to date.
"One Day at a Time" took on a whole new meaning. Today I am living a useful/fruitful life one day at a time thanks to a programme for living freely given.

Robert
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby Lali » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:40 am

Beast of burden wrote:If I start drinking, I know I'm going to die. I came very close to the edge. I never want to go to that place again.
Today is Day 14. I feel good about my progress so far, but I'm worried about thinking I have this under control relapsing this week.

That is a healthy fear to have. We are at high risk in early sobriety until we get a sponsor to help us with the steps. I believe you said in a later post that you have 15 days sober now. That is a big accomplishment! but you need to get to some meetings and really immerse yourself into the program. Get to meetings early and ask what you can do as far as handing out books, cleaning the kitchen, setting out chairs, etc. It will help make you feel part of the group.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Beast of burden » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:04 pm

Day 16. I feel a slight sense of low grade anxiety, otherwise I'm doing well.
Beast of burden
Forums Newcomer

Next

Return to For the Newcomer