The word addiction

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: The word addiction

Postby alf » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:58 pm

ravensgrl, congratulations on a week! that's great! keep up the great work!
alf
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi Ravensgrl

Congratulations on one week of sobriety!

I switched to drinking diet sodas in early sobriety and that worked for me, but for the last few years my drink of choice has been A&W root beer, chilled or on the rocks, summer or winter. And, I'm a big fan of junk food too! My body probably doesn't need it but my soul does.... :lol: My favorite soul food is peanut butter, on anything, with anything, it's all good.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Ravensgrl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:15 pm

I'm actually having a lot of fun today. I'm incredibly caffeinated and on somewhat of a sugar high but I am sober. I'm hanging out with my roommate stuck in the house because of the snow. She's drinking a glass of wine with my encouragement. She doesn't have a problem with alcohol and is having a bit of a panic attack over being claustrophobic and stuck. The wine is helping her laugh at the situation but I am finding I don't need the wine to be laughing.
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby D'oh » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:24 pm

Sweets help when sobering up. And they are better than the Sauerkraut, Crushed Tomatoes, and Corn Syrup, they used back then. But seriously, sweets don't cause the troubles that the booze did.

Congrats on the week, and surviving the Storm without a bottle. I could see where a bottle would have helped being in a sort of Lock Down, but the snow would have out lasted the bottle. Then you would still have to shovel but Hung Over and sweaty booze smelling.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:56 pm

Wonderful!

Learning how to live without drinking on a daily basis was very interesting and I got a lot of help, wisdom, and advice with that from oldtimers in regular AA meetings, but I really had no idea how much fun I could have in sobriety until I discovered Young People's AA meetings and hanging out with a bunch of "kids" my age who were as full of energy, enthusiasm and spontaneity as I was. I didn't want to go home, watch t.v or go to bed as soon as the meeting was over and I was so grateful to find other AA members who didn't either. You only live once, right?

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Ravensgrl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks for all the nice thoughts. It does seem weird though to be congratulated for 1 week. I think a month for me will really feel special, more of a milestone and something I haven't done in a really long time. I haven't been to meeting yet. I am sure I will check one out at some point. It would be nice to meet others in person who don't drink. How young do you have to be to qualify for young aa?
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Ravensgrl wrote:Thanks for all the nice thoughts. It does seem weird though to be congratulated for 1 week. I think a month for me will really feel special, more of a milestone and something I haven't done in a really long time. I haven't been to meeting yet. I am sure I will check one out at some point. It would be nice to meet others in person who don't drink. How young do you have to be to qualify for young aa?

Young People's meetings usually attract the under 40 crowd in AA, but really the only "requirement" is to be young at heart. There is generally a lot more teasing, joking and laughter in YP meetings. Older AA members in their 50's and 60's in my area who were attracted to that kind of sobriety were always dropping in for a dose of endorphins and were always welcome.
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Ravensgrl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Oh ok, I am 32 so I guess I still qualify, those meetings sound more fun. I had assumed they were for like early 20s.
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Ravensgrl wrote:Oh ok, I am 32 so I guess I still qualify, those meetings sound more fun. I had assumed they were for like early 20s.

Oh yeah, you qualify. I was about 31 when I started going to YP meetings and most of the other members in my groups were in their late 20's and 30's and I thought the meetings were more fun. There was one young girl who was 12 when she first got sober, a few other members who were in their teens and a few others in their early 40's. The thing I noticed about teen alcoholics/addicts, especially those who came into AA after living on the streets for a while, is that while they still looked like teenagers on the outside when they got clean and sober, on the inside they were going on 30. I think you'd like the meetings. Same formats, same readings, same Steps, same Traditions as regular meetings, just a younger crowd.
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:35 am

Ravensgrl
Thanks for all the nice thoughts. It does seem weird though to be congratulated for 1 week.

The first week is one of the hardest! But I guess I got sober 5 days before my birthday - which tells ya how much fun I was having! Anyway, those early days we are still blinded and do not yet know any other solution. Trust me, there is a solution! If I can find it, YOU can find it.

Glada you are safe and warm - I been watching snowpocolypse all day on the TV from Iowa where it is unseasonably warm. Take care & have fun!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Reborn » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:43 am

You're getting just a taste of the sweet gifts sobriety gives us. We call this a "pink cloud" in AA...I remember those...what a feeling. As soon as you can get into action and work the steps...when that "pink cloud" disapates you will have a foundation and tools to deal with the mental blank spots that are sure to come. Congrats on the week of sobriety...now get to work!! Nothing changes if nothing changes!
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Ravensgrl » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:02 pm

I am still snowed in, the city hasn't plowed my road. I spent about 6 hours today shoveling, no joke. And I turned down a glass of wine from my neighbor!! I just told her I wasn't drinking right now. She asked if I was doing a cleanse and I was like yeah. So, I survived snowmageddon without alcohol!!¡
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Robert R » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:33 pm

That was a good response to your neighbour. Detailed explanations to non alcoholics are in my experience unnecessary and can result in the non alcoholic persuading us we do not have a problem. Which the alcoholic mind can readily accept and of we go again.

Best wishes for an early thaw,
Robert
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby SWIT » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:50 am

Maybe another way of looking at it is calling it alcohol use disorder. I can understand why the words abuse and addiction can be negative and have a stigma attached to them.
SWIT
Forums Enthusiast

Postby OnPoint » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:36 am

I am reminded by this thread of a wonderful book I once read on the subject of addiction. It is called "Drinking: a love story" by Caroline Knapp. In telling her story, she describes using compulsive behaviors to avoid certain feelings. When the consequences of one behavior became to uncomfortable she would switch to another. Ultimately she finds a way to deal with the root cause of her feelings and frees herself from the cycle.

What surprised me the most was that I identified so deeply with her story. After all, she's a girl and I'm a guy. I guess I had always assumed that when it came to "outside issues" men and women were different. But I identified with her addictive relationships to more than just alcohol. I learned a lot about myself reading this book. I recommend this book to anyone seeking to understand the nature of addiction.
OnPoint
Forums Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to For the Newcomer