The word addiction

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: The word addiction

Postby Lali » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 pm

4thDimension wrote:Big Book - Chapter 3 "More About Alcoholism"

You might consider reading this chapter and see if it doesn't help you understand the illness more.

Definitely read "The Doctor's Opinion" in the front of the Big Book as well. It explains the disease of alcoholism very well.

My best response to your questions is: If when out drinking, you want to stop drinking but cannot, you are addicted to alcohol. So you could be considered an addict, but the word alcoholic is usually used. Also, if when drinking you suffer bad consequences but still cannot stop, you are probably an alcoholic.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:44 pm

SWIT wrote:Maybe another way of looking at it is calling it alcohol use disorder. I can understand why the words abuse and addiction can be negative and have a stigma attached to them.

Stigma or not, it is what it is. And the good news is we don't have to live with the stigma - we can always get sober!!
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Reborn » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:56 pm

I remember my mom asking me time and time again "if these bad things keep happening to you when you drink then why do you continue to drink?" Great question...The last time I saw my mom we had a conversation about this very thing. I said "Mom if I could've some how explained to you how intolerable it was to for me to be sober...then you wouldn't ever ask me to be that because you would finally know how horrible it was for me to just be in my own skin." Drinking was never the problem...drinking was the solution to the problem of being sober...AA has taught me to live sober and actually be happy about that.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Lcampio101 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:07 pm

How do I know who is online and I can talk to now? My tablet won't allow me to chat on the site it says it's not supported. This stinks
Lisa Marie
Lcampio101
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:51 am

I don't know much about how it all works behind the scenes...

It is hard to tell when someone will be on to answer posts - not usually too long though.

Check the Suggestions Forum here and see if anyone has info on how to get chat to work. But the chat lounge is only open before and after meetings.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer