The word addiction

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

The word addiction

Postby Ravensgrl » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:45 pm

I'm having trouble with the word addiction. If I am not physically dependent on a substance can I really be an addict? And if I'm not an addict can I be an alcoholic?
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Re: The word addiction

Postby D'oh » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:22 pm

Ok I will bite.

So if we know that when we drink, we do incredibly stupid things, and get into trouble. Way more than when we don't drink. We are full of remorse the next morning for the things that we did the night before. We wake up wondering how we are going to pay rent, when last night it was only a bottle or 1 drink at the bar.

Then why did we need that drink in the first place? If it isn't an Addiction? Was it Thirst? Why not a water?

Even if it isn't a daily, weekly, or yearly thing. Why is there a need and a belief that "It will be different this time?"
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Layne » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:53 pm

I could post the definition of addiction from Merriam Webster, but those are merely words and they don't really address the core issue that you raise.

When I first started to address the issue of my alcoholism and was introduced to the program of AA, I spent far too much time looking for ways out. Not surprisingly, I found them. When, instead, I looked for ways in, I found them.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby 4thDimension » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 pm

"Despite all we can say, many who are real alcoholics are not going to believe they are in that class. By every form of self-deception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule, therefore nonalcoholic. If anyone who is showing inability to control his drinking can do the right- about-face and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to him. Heaven knows, we have tried hard enough and long enough to drink like other people!"

Big Book - Chapter 3 "More About Alcoholism"

You might consider reading this chapter and see if it doesn't help you understand the illness more.

Hang in there.
4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:21 pm

Hmm. You're not physically dependent?

Have you been able to stop drinking on your own?

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Robert R » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:19 am

Semantics won't get me sober, serene or give me a quiet peaceful head. Only the AA programme thoroughly followed will do that in my experience.

Robert
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:25 am

The program of AA stresses the fact that the problem of the alcoholic centers around the mind. if you notice, the program doesn't address the craving part. All it does is, gives you a solution so that you can keep the obsession at bay.

When I go to the correction facility, we as a team, always stress this point. We ask the inmate the number of trips back to penitentiary, usually its their 3/4th time. What ask them what exactly goes through their mind every time they leave the premises.

And read this paragraph on page 24 and see if they can realize the fact, left on their own resource they will hit the blind spot?

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby alf » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:32 am

i try to keep in mind two things when i think about this 1) physical allergy and 2) mental obsession.
when i start to drink, i can't put it down. when i don't drink i end up thinking about having one or finding myself in situations where, inexplicably, i end up drinking -even when i know the past consequences and even when, most curiously, i might not even want to drink.

there might be times that i can take it or leave it, but somehow down the road, without a program of action, i always end up taking it.

alcoholism is progressive. so my reactions today might be different to my reaction in the future. regardless of the quantities that i drink or once have drunk. if you look at something like the jellinek curve you can see there are classifications of various stages of progressing alcoholism (pro-dromal, chronic, crucial) or you can talk to some people in AA and hear about the "Yets"

for me it comes down to the question "do better things happen when i keep away from a drink?" in my experience it decidedly does so. not drinking allows me to not feel like crap when i get up, put away a little bit of cash from what i spent on booze, not wonder what embarrassments i caused, gives me courage to face myself and know that i've treated people honestly and with respect, and when my head hits the pillow after some reflection and communication with a Higher Power, i can sleep with a clean conscience.

not to be dismissive, but i don't think you'll find a profoundly logical or philosophically cogent answer to your question that doesn't end in useless semantics or sophistry. AA'ers have the reminder that "we deal with alcohol: cunning, baffling, and powerful."
but we also have the hope and the experience that there is help.
alf
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Ravensgrl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:29 am

Yeah you're probably right, I won't find a real answer. Maybe addiction is not a good word for me. I am not addicted to alcohol, I don't have withdrawal symptoms. However I do have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. I don't really crave it, but I use it to numb myself. Right now I'm trying to think about the good things about being sober like how ive been sober one week and i havent felt depressed or lonely since the first day... and the bad things about drinking. Like waking up and feeling gross still smelling it on me. Oh I hate that.
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Ravensgrl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:46 am

Probably the hardest part of my sober week was yesterday when I had to talk myself out of stopping at the liquor store before the blizzard really hit. Luckily I didn't and now I'm snowed in with no alcohol. I do have lots of junk food though :)
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Robert R » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:59 am

:lol: I did the junk food binge too :lol: Now I eat healthy as life is so good I wish to enjoy it as long as possible.
Not like the past, the anger on waking as I would rather not have yet another day suffering.
Grateful for the programme and the promises.

Robert
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby Ravensgrl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:09 pm

I am developing an addiction to diet coke but I'm okay with that. Diet coke has never caused me to wake up with feelings of shame and regret.
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Robert R » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:37 pm

"Yet" :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry just couldn't resist :wink:
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby Ravensgrl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:45 pm

Hahaha that's great :lol:
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:03 pm

Hahahahaha - Glad you are surviving Snowpocolypse Raven! I am a Diet Pepsi gal, but let's not quibble over brand names!

Have you read the Doctor's Opinion in the front of the Big Book?? I think he does a good job of talking about this disease. And I call it a disease AND a dis-ease. Rarely do I say addiction, though it was that too. But I still like disease and allergy as good descriptors of what I have. I have a genetic disease and I also have an allergy... When I take in any alcohol whatever, I break out in handcuffs! :lol: :D :P :roll: :wink:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Next

Return to For the Newcomer