Merl here. 30 day medallion in hand and now at day 48!

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Merl
Forums Enthusiast

Merl here. 30 day medallion in hand and now at day 48!

Post by Merl » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:57 am

Hi Everyone,

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE HELPED ME GET THIS FAR. PRAISE GOD AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL !!

I am very grateful to have found this forum and feel so blessed to have you all take me under your wings and guide me. I am so appreciative that I cannot begin to put it in words. Your words lifted me up when I was down, put wind I my sails and set me on course when I was lost. I received my 30 day medallion on Friday. I couldn't release it from my grasp the entire afternoon. I even put it on my pillow!! I take it everywhere with me. I call it " my new compass ". I attended a wedding and reception on Saturday. Beleive it or not, but it is the absolute truth, my assigned table was the one directly next to the open bar!!! Medallion in my pocket, my sobriety in focos, Gods grace and with all of you in mind, I walked to the table, no one was seated yet and took a seat where my back would be toward the bar. :D Had the time of my life!! Visited, dined with friends, took many photos, politely asked for a cup of hot tea when offered a "drink" and was up on the dance floor learning the Cha Cha Slide!!! Who knew I could boogie, SOBER !!!! I was on a high I never experienced before as an adult! I can tell you right here, right now, I don't want to come down!!! Sobriety is where it's at. Leaving the past in the past.

Have a great day everyone. Love you all.
Merl

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Merl here. 30 day medallion in hand and now at day 48!

Post by Tosh » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:14 am

Hi Merl,

Congratulations on the 30 days, mate, but more importantly you've been busy, and brave, and I see you've found yourself a homegroup, you're doing service, and you've got a sponsor.

Wow! That's impressive, mate. Sober dancing too; that's advanced sober stuff.

Well done, not just for the sober time, but for taking some action too.

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:28 am

Hey Merl,

Great to hear you're doing well. Indeed, well done on the sober boogie. I still feel like a frog in a blender. When I was drinking of course, I had all the moves, like a female michael jackson....in my head. The reality was likely quite different :lol:

Good to hear from you :mrgreen:
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 am

Never mind the dancing; I wasn't really all that bad, but I always thought I was Celene Dion when I was intoxicated. I would wake up the next day and think "OMG. Did I SING last night"? Friends should not let friends sing drunk!

Your post made my day, Merl!
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:49 am

Wooohooo!

30 days! I remember when I could not give you 30 minutes if you were bringing the booze!

Common problem and a common solution too! I was late getting to my first meeting by a couple of years due to fear. One of the first fears that I found to be completely unwarranted!

There will be ups and downs. Just cement this memory in your mind so that when the downs do come, you will know that this thing does work and all you gotta do is apply some willingness and effort!

Good on ya Merl. Truly happy you found us!
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Robert R
Forums Contributor

Post by Robert R » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:00 am

Hi Merl, you just keep on putting a smile on this old mans face. :D Thank you.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:19 pm

:D
...a score card reading zero...

whipping post
Forums Contributor

Post by whipping post » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Keep going Merl! It only gets better and better.

Troy M.
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Troy M. » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:14 am

Way to go Merle!

Tom S
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Tom S » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:44 am

Absolutely love it.
Another miracle in the making.
Thanks for letting us know.
Grateful for the Gift

Duke
Forums Old Timer

Post by Duke » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:14 am

A belated thanks to you for sharing that Merl. I hope this day finds you well. Together we can.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa

Merl
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Merl » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:28 pm

You know, you all are so awesome. I've been reading your posts to my spouse and feel so blessed by each and everyone of you. Would love to organize a reunion where we could all meet in person. If not on this side of life, definitely on the other side. :D We'd have one rip roaring good time!

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:05 pm

Merl, in these kind of posts, there's always got to be one 'sensible' (aka stick in the mud) who then says something like "For a lasting, happy, sobriety, the key is to be found through doing our 12 Step program. In another 30 days you might be bored with being sober; restless, irritable and discontented, and that may drive you back to the drink!"

As it happens, it's me that's being the stick in the mud. :lol:

Apologies.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Merl
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Merl » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:42 am

Hey Tosh, that's ok. I'll take that as a challenge and do my darnedest to rise to up to it!! LOL!!! Which, according to my spouse I have been doing a lot more of, laughing that is. Ha, who knew that drinking had hushed my laugher. I asked my sweet love if I had been mean or crabby and was told no, just didn't seem to laugh as much with such zest. Who knew! Anyhow, have been working the steps and had my first sober birthday in 51 years. ( we were allowed alcohol growing up. It was part of my families culture, as of age 3 you were permitted to have small amounts ) And it was also my first sober Christmas in as many years. PRAISE GOD !!! My spouse and I went to Christmas service on Christmas Day and for the first time that I can think of, I felt lifted up by the celebration of the Mass. I've always believed in God and have been very religious, but I received a joy that I hadn't felt before in church. I think for the first time "I", the real true me, was present. What a joyous peace and fullness of heart I found within me. I was dumbfounded, baffled if you will. I HAVE BEEN MISSING ALL OF THIS !!!! My eyes were truly open and I was so grateful to be there and there in the moment. Today is day 53. Praise God. I will sign off for now as I need to go see what He needs me to do. :D
With a happy heart,
Merl

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:18 am

Very upbeat and positive post great stuff.
Ha, who knew that drinking had hushed my laughter.
I liked this comment very much, it reminded me of when I did laugh while drinking years ago, then the fun went out of it because I wasn’t doing it for fun anymore. I was doing it just to get over the irritable and discontent feeling, in the end first thing in the morning to stop shaking. This quote from the chapter The Family Afterward fits this situation beautifully.
But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others.
Of course on the more serious side we keep in mind what that word 'recovered' means, we must do those steps and live the life for the good feelings to continue, without them we are without defense, and the laughter can quite easily die again.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."