Journey back to sobriety

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Journey back to sobriety

Postby GreatD » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:46 pm

Thank you to those that replied. Have had some good meetings lately. Almost 2 months now. Have a big travel week for work this month, but trying not to worry about it too much
GreatD
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:40 am

What an opportunity to see how it is done all over the place. Sometimes I wish I could travel and see all the different expressions of AA! But right now it is snowing (again) and I wish I didn't have to go out at all!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby GreatD » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:22 pm

Nice thing happened yesterday. About somewhere I was going...Wife said "it makes me nervous, but I just have to trust you." Knock on wood, things are slowly getting better
GreatD
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:24 pm

GreatD wrote:Thank you to those that replied. Have had some good meetings lately. Almost 2 months now. Have a big travel week for work this month, but trying not to worry about it too much

Congratulations on almost two months of sobriety!

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby tyg » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:35 pm

It's been great having you with us. Thank you for sharing your experience, strength and hope.
AA works when we work it and doesn't when we don't.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby rule62 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:57 pm

greetings all, i have been trying to quit drinking for 12 years and look forward to your counsel and wisdom ... 3 days into this attempt after hitting my worst, last, absolute rock bottom. nowhere to go but up.
rule62
Forums Newcomer

Postby D'oh » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:20 am

Welcome Rule.

And take it from 1 member, who after many Great Years of Sobriety, went out and tried to do it alone and failed. Today is the day that we have to focus on, today only. All of the Yesterdays, had a meaning, and got me to where I am Today. Where I know that I need help, and AA has shown me that there is help.

So I do not regret the past. It has taught me that I can't do it alone. A lesson I call it. What I do with that lesson is up to my Higher Power and Me.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Brock » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:44 am

Welcome to e-AA rule62 very nice 'handle.' My experience is that people like yourself who have tried many times to quit, have an easier time actually accepting the fact that we need help to do so. I also tried everything I could think of to stop, sometimes made a week or two and once made six months, because I was offered a super paying contract job which should have lasted two years, but I chucked it because all the money in the world couldn't keep me away from drink. AA has been a lot easier than I thought it would be, and the rewards greater than I can explain.

You will notice that this thread of discussion may be closed by the moderators at the end of this page five, or early into page six, this is a standard practice on these forums, please feel free to post again in another thread or ask any questions you may have, all the best to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby rule62 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:20 am

thank you Brock and D'oh ... i found out the hard way that i can do none of it on my own ... after 5 years of binge drinking, i decided enough was enough and i had 15 years of abstinence. not one drop. then 12 years ago i had the insane thought that i could drink normally, told myself " ... you can handle it, one drink won't hurt you ..." and down the rabbit hole i went. misery. since then, tried a half-dozen of more times to quit; sometimes for weeks, sometimes only days, sometimes for several months, only to slip and fail again. and each slip was worse than the previous one. no more. i know in my heart that the steps, the fellowship, and God almighty will shepherd me through it to a better way, a better day, and a better life. thank you for helping me.
rule62
Forums Newcomer

Postby Stepchild » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:52 am

Welcome rule62....Sounds like you are ready and you have a plan. Only thing missing is putting it into action. All I can tell you...Is it works.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby rule62 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:18 am

thank you Stepchild. i'm grateful to be here. i'm thankful for finally making the decision ... and MEANING it.
rule62
Forums Newcomer

Postby rule62 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:43 am

good morning all. today is my tenth day of sobriety and i feel great. thank you for your continued support and kindness. :D
rule62
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:53 am

Congrats rule62! That is a long time for a drunk to go without a drink.

We have rather a common practice here at e-aa, that we close down discussions that are longer than 5 pages. I hope that you will start another thread or join in an existing thread after this one one is closed. Also, if you wish, you can click on the name of any person and send them a private message. We all stand ready to help in anyway we can.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer