Meeting and more meetings

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle »

message delete
Last edited by Chelle on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

2granddaughters

Re: Meeting and more meetings

Post by 2granddaughters »

This is a great question for your sponsor.

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle »

Last edited by Chelle on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

2granddaughters

Post by 2granddaughters »

Different parts of the country (world) do it different ways.
How we do it here in Ontario Canada may well be very different than other parts.

Ask the oldtimers in your group.

(I hope you have a back-up/co-sponsor for when your sponsor is away)

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

I always suggest to newcomers that they get around and visit as many different meetings as they can. Different meeting formats coupled with different personalities give each meeting a different flavour.

If I was in your position, I'd visit a lot of them - and have fun doing so - and see which meetings chimed with me.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Post by Hanna »

Hi Zimmy,
I can understand your confusion as I was as well. The best way I can explain it is, Big Book meetings read a chapter in the BB at the meeting and then discuss that chapter, same for Step meetings. Speaker meeting are when a speaker comes from another gruop and shares his story, what is was like then, how it got better and what it's like now. Discussion meeting generally chose a topic and everyone has an opportunity to share their thoughts or experience on the topic.
I hope that clarifies things a little better for you.
Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 »

Hi Zimmy

In addition to the different kinds of AA meetings you mentioned, there are also Young Peoples' meetings (YPAA), early morning eye-opener meeting for early birds, late night candlelight meetings for night owls, pot-luck speaker meetings, weekend and holiday alka-thons (24 hours of meetings), and, in more progressive areas, AA members have organized outside non-AA "tools of sobriety" meetings on meditation techniques and assertiveness training. And, then there's the AA conferences, conventions, round-ups --which can also include dinner/dances, golf tournaments, 10K runs, etc. Lot's of fun, interesting sober stuff going on all the time somewhere in the fellowship these days.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle »

Last edited by Chelle on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

No.3
Forums Enthusiast

Post by No.3 »

Hi Zimmy,
It varies from place to place, but it's usually easy to figure out. A Mens meeting is for men; it may be Open or Closed. The code/legend (on your state/area AA website) usually indicates which is which.

If a Meeting format employs AA literature then it's known as a literature meeting. Narrower still, if only the Big Book is read from and discussed, you'll typically see "BB" noted in the meeting list, which you can guess also isn't the "regular meetings" (Open Discussion) you mentioned. There are local variations; check the local meeting list guide and carefully note the code legend.

Here's how the VA AA site indicates one group's format. I've never been, but it's stated to be an open literature meeting with discussion.

FIRST STEP GROUP
First Presbyterian Church
937 Main St. Pass Church Turn Onto Chestnut St.
Driveway on right with handrail, Danville, 24541
This is an chairman's choice of AA literature meeting.
Open, Discussion, Steps, Traditions, Big Book, Grapevine Literature

Here's a meeting in NYC. I've never been, but I can assume they'll read from As Bill Sees It followed by Closed Discussion (for "Alcoholics only"). Meetings do change formats, though.

42nd AT 9:00pm -
303 West 42nd Street, Room #404,
(Betw 8th & 9th Avenues) 10036

Wednesdays From 9:15 PM to 10:15 PM
Meeting Type C = Closed Discussion meeting
Special Interest: As Bill Sees It

In Ft. Worth TX see how these literature meetings are indicated differently?

12&12 12 Steps and 12 Traditions literature meeting
BB Big Book Study
Lit Literature study
Stdy Literature study/discussion meeting

Here's how Central FL Intergroup codes theirs:

All meetings are “closed meetings” unless (O) open is indicated in the directory.
AB As Bill Sees it
BG Beginner’s meeting
BB Big Book meeting
CDL Candlelight meeting
D Discussion Meeting
G V “Grapevine” meeting
Lit Other AA literature meeting
LS “Living Sober” meeting
M Men’s meeting
S “12 Steps” meeting
SP “Speaker” meeting
T “12 Traditions” meeting
W Women’s meeting
Y Young People's meeting
"The Group demands total loyalty to the inner group. Some have had to leave the movement because of the Groups' demands which conflict with truth or duty." The Oxford Groups by Herbert H. Henson, 1933, pages 73-74.

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle »

Last edited by Chelle on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

We need to understand individual consciousness is evolving at different pace. There were 2 incidences in my 10 year tenure standout. One guy who had sobered up somewhere in NE had moved to GA and there they never saw the book Alcoholics Anonymous. They worked the steps as a group using the 12 and 12. He would all the time irritate with those slogans "be a passenger in the bus and enjoy the ride" crap. And another who would recite the 9th step promise but later learned he has not gone down that far and has not experienced it. Luckily by then, I had some stability creep into my life and knew the 12 steps had to be worked quickly. Initially it is difficult to comprehend all the things we hear in the meetings. Classic slogans are "get to a meeting even if the ass falls off". Tell it to an alcoholic who has not worked the steps! The first thing he is going to do is, take a drink and then drink more and then call somebody if he is lucky the next day. So many in the fellowship who don't understand the powerlessness.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle »

Last edited by Chelle on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

I just can' t imagine doing it without the big book.
Me either. There are some folks whom I ran into who were asked by their sponsors to use the 12 and 12 and thoroughly understand steps 6 and 7. Its kind of stuff going on with the "fear inventory". We are not done with 1 thread. Now we need one more. Its like the star wars series. LOL.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Brock
Forums Old Timer

Post by Brock »

Something which fits in with the title of meetings and more meetings, is that some newcomers can be scared by those who spout things like meeting makers make it, and the fact that some old timers go to so many meetings. I really didn't like meetings at first, and seeing some members who were at every one, and saying they had been sober for so many years scared the hell out of me, I thought crap every night for life I can't do this. Fortunately I noticed a few who only came to one or two per week and asked them about it.

It was explained that the older ones I saw all the time lived alone and not under the best of conditions, for them a meeting was far better than the alternative of staying alone each night. They said that once the steps were completed and we lived according to the principles, meetings were a place to give back by way of sharing experience and possibly do some one on one with a new person, other than that they were not necessary for sobriety or serenity. When we have discussed this here in the past, the majority of recovered alcoholics reported attending 2 – 3 per week.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

whipping post
Forums Contributor

Post by whipping post »

Zimmy wrote:at first she didn't want me reading anything aa but the big book.
Sounds like you have a good sponsor. I wasted a lot of time reading this and that and trying to figure everything out including trying to nail down to a T what my higher power was. I finally gave up and started working the steps with my sponsor and it all started to come together.