Just wanted to say hi!

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Just wanted to say hi!

Postby ann2 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:25 am

Hi,

I'm sorry your friends are excluding you. Do you feel secure in your sobriety? Maybe you could have a chat with the people excluding you and explain that being around drinking isn't a problem for most recovered alcoholics. We've found freedom from the compulsion to drink by taking the 12 steps of recovery.

If not, maybe you could have your own alcohol free event -- a theme night with pictionary or a tv show. Call your friends individually to see if someone will go to a movie with you.

If your old associates only get together to drink, then you might be safer in your A.A. group. If you don't have one yet, now's the time to find one! I hung out with people in my group in early sobriety and it was a lifesaver.

Hope to hear more from you :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Robert R » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:09 am

Hi Nellie, perhaps your friends just don't wish to put temptation in your way. That was the situation I found myself in in the early days. Through working the steps thoroughly and giving myself fully to this new way of living my friends soon came to realise that a cotton wool wrapping was not necessary. Now my family and real friends couldn't be more inclusive than they are with me.
This takes time however, keeping busy helped get me out of my head and phoning/meeting other AA members for coffee got me out of the house.
Hold the ground you've got and keep going forward friend.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:53 pm

I hope you can find an alkathon near you! There are several here in the midwest... meetings and fellowship 24 hours around the clock new years eve and day! If you need help in finding something in your area let me know and I can help!

There are also live chat meetings that are hosting alkathons! I can help you find those too!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:09 pm

PaigeB wrote:I hope you can find an alkathon near you! There are several here in the midwest... meetings and fellowship 24 hours around the clock new years eve and day! If you need help in finding something in your area let me know and I can help!

There are also live chat meetings that are hosting alkathons! I can help you find those too!

Yes, they do this in Texas too. And Kansas City. And I suppose most city areas where there is an AA hall.
Or, just go to a meeting and ask someone what they are doing and can you come.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Nellie » Thu May 12, 2016 11:44 am

Well... I guess I'm saying hi once again. Yup, you guessed it, my sobriety date has changed somewhat: it's now May 6th, so almost a week.
Long story short, I started drinking again while travelling and continued to do so until last week, when I had a rock bottom moment and decided enough was enough (again).

Anyway, so far so good and I hope you've all had a better few months than I did. It's good to be back :)
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly".
Nellie
Forums Enthusiast

Postby clouds » Thu May 12, 2016 12:11 pm

Welcome back Nellie! :D

Good to hear from you. The doors swing both ways and so welcome back inside AA.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Nellie » Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks Clouds, much appreciated :)
Nellie
Forums Enthusiast

Postby KathyAnne » Fri May 13, 2016 12:05 am

Snap that's my Soberity date May 6th 5'yrs ago. I feel fortunate had no slips always did what was suggested and was very honest to myself and others and just kept coming back.
I'm a happy alcohlic today I like being sober and don't feel I'm missing out on anything. To think I thought my life was over when a doctor told me I was dying and to stop drinking. Good job I listened to him, good to be sober and keep coming back no matter what happens.
KathyAnne
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:32 am

when I had a rock bottom moment and decided enough was enough (again).

So glad you are back. Hope you realize the real solution is in working the 12 steps to the best of our capacity. We belong to a sect of people who need direct connect with our higher power as the book says, in order for us to be away from the 1st drink. We get connected by these spiritual principles behind the steps. Meetings just a small part of the recovery process.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Nellie » Sun May 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Thank you both :)
Nellie
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer