Just wanted to say hi!

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Just wanted to say hi!

Postby Nellie » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi everyone! Nellie, alcolholic here. I'm only just starting out with A.A. I've been sober for 1 day now and went to my first meeting yesterday, I'm lucky, there are a lot of meetings in my town. It was terrifying but I'm so glad I finally did it, everyone was so kind and supportive, without being pushy or overbearing. Anyway, I'm so glad I found this online group, also especially for when I'm travelling. I'm not quite ready to share too much just yet, but I know I will given time. I look forward to the day when I'm able to give back to all these wonderful people, in just one day you've already given me hope. Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to my US neighbours :)
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly".
Nellie
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Just wanted to say hi!

Postby Robert R » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Welcome Nellie, Well done on your first day. Hope to hear more from you as you continue your journey. Others will be along too to say hello before long.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:25 pm

Welcome Nellie, very nice to read what a good start you have made, we often get newcomers here who quite understandably are nervous about their first meeting, it usually takes a while for members to talk them into giving it a try. By you saying what the experience was like you are giving back already, newer folks kind of 'trust' what other new folks say about meetings, the journey has began, best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Tosh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Nellie wrote:Hi everyone! Nellie, alcolholic here. I'm only just starting out with A.A. I've been sober for 1 day now and went to my first meeting yesterday, I'm lucky, there are a lot of meetings in my town.

You know today is the birthday of two very special A.A. members? The first is Bill W's birthday (he's dead now), but he was A.A.'s co-founder, he was born on 26th Nov on your Thanksgiving day. And the second very special A.A. member's birthday is MINE. :lol:

So you've stopped drinking on a very auspicious day; don't let that date change - it's verrrrrrry special. :mrgreen:

And well done on your first meeting; that takes a lot of guts.

Welcome to the forum,

Regards

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:17 am

Wow - getting sober on Bill W's birthday! And the infamous Tosh too! Now a triple winning day with Nellie finding Hope! It is a wonderful thing... unconditional Love.

Keep coming!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby whipping post » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:09 am

Welcome Nellie.

Great to hear that you've made your first meeting. That takes a lot of courage. Keep it up!
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby Alanmctavish » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:57 am

hi hows it going? read some of the comments and very helpfukl. dont reallly want o hijack this comment. But needed some help plus didnt want to start a new subject. im going back to a meetin tomorrow, since about 2 months agoi., not had a drop for around 1.5 months. although tempted several times,. But the thought of living my life through going to meetings ev night is irritatin,. at first i had no job money adn or plCE to live. now its been8 months. off and on having slips bad things. i have a job place to stay and my friends and family lol. not being flippant but the stuff u hear does come true. . met some great folk. although, id rather be able to not ghave to do this , well thats the WAY LIFE Is. i have learned that.

first meetin back since i stopped since the job, so a bit nervous. i do know no1 will judge but in my head folk might be thinking " were you out there"

once i get in, i think al be fine but its like day one. and the reason im going back is because i feel i might slip soon as the line of work im in might put me in a position of a yes or no
Alanmctavish
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Alanmctavish » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:03 pm

sorry re grammer. phone is sticking
Alanmctavish
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:52 pm

I believe any thought of having to go to meetings every night is something which puts a lot of new people off, and it's quite simply not true. Once the steps are done Alan which can be a matter of a couple of months, you will feel a release from temptation and the need of meetings. They are those who say they go to meetings because they enjoy it, others to assist newcomers, these are recovered alcoholics. Those who say they go to meetings to stay sober are recovering, unfortunately many stay that way by neglecting to do the work, work which is very much simpler than it may appear on paper.

From my experience nobody will judge you, if you get a chance to speak you might say something about not being at meetings and having a hard time but still not giving into temptation. My problem when I was new and others I have heard say the same thing, is that we always feel people are judging us, it's part of an alcoholics makeup, the steps help fix that as well, best of luck to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Robert R » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:05 pm

Likewise as Brock says Alan, despite my fears in my early days, I too found AA members to be nonjudgemental. I go to meetings now fairly regularly to give away that which I was so freely given to me. That is my choice however, one I made on completion of the steps. That is the wonderful thing about putting in the work. I have choices today, fear selfishness and ego are no longer in the driving seat. Best wishes on your journey.

How are you doing Nellie?
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby 4thDimension » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:55 pm

Hi Nellie,

I was hopeless and helpless 30 years ago. I came to AA thoroughly whipped by alcohol. Ever since that day, my life has gotten better. Today it's as good as any person's life, probably better than most.

One day at a time.

Keep coming.
4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:44 am

Hi Nellie, if you have 'changed your sobriety date', don't worry about it, just keep coming back. Most (if not all of us) had regular 'attempts at sobriety'. What I found worked for me was going to a bunch of meetings and the support I found there. It led to a whole new way of life.

Keep coming back.

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Nellie » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi guys, thank you so much for you kind words :)
I've had a very busy couple of days, which has definitely been a blessing, so I'm happy to say that my very special sobriety date is safe right now :) Hope you had a wonderful birthday Tosh :)

Nellie.
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly".
Nellie
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:06 am

Nellie wrote: Hope you had a wonderful birthday Tosh :)

Thank you; I did. I had some nice pressies, a call from my step daughter, and was taken out for a lovely meal to a place where my dog (my buddy) could come too.

And well done for keeping hold of that sobriety date. At first I was like "I'm sober!" and then within hours sometimes, I'd be drunk. :lol:

Have you been to anymore meetings? Have you found any that you really like? Have you seen a potential sponsor maybe?

Interested people want to know! Well, I do, 'cos I'm nosey like that.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Alanmctavish » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Morning,

This time of year is horrific. Noone wants to invite me anywhere "just incase"

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to stay away. feel like a reclusive slug again
Alanmctavish
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to For the Newcomer