First day of the rest of my life

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Re: First day of the rest of my life

Post by Stepchild » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:52 pm

BaskingRunner wrote:
It's how progressive it really is.
I definitely know what you mean there. It's why I'm stopping this NOW, before it REALLY gets out of control. I just hope I don't end up talking myself out of it. LOL "Well, it's not really a problem yet. What's just one more binge? It's the Holidays, after all..." I've really noticed in the past few years how much worse my drinking is getting.

I remember when I would get drunk and wake up the next morning, and sure I had a hangover, but I could at least remember everything I did the night before. In the past year, it has become a routine that I black out at least the last few hours of my evening before falling asleep (or passing out). I'm really sick and tired of getting up the next morning and noticing the evidence of a food binge I remember nothing about, going on Facebook to see whether I posted something stupid that I have no memory of writing, or checking my cellphone and hoping I didn't drunk-dial anyone.

It makes me happy that you see that.

amont
Forums Enthusiast

Post by amont » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:09 pm

That's a good decision you made. Congratulations! Good luck

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:09 am

BaskingRunner wrote:I plan on trying out a meeting. They seem to only be held on Sundays, though, and I have my daughter with me every other Sunday. So I won't be able to go to one for about two weeks. In the meantime, I found an online chat room. And, of course, this forum. :-)
Hey you and Liz could be walking this journey together since you have just started! I am still very close to a couple of gals that came up out of the abyss around the same time I did. It is NOT a buddy system, just a cool tidbit to know!

I wanted to add that e-aa has live chat meetings every day at a few different times a day! I used this venue A LOT when I first sobered up. I am a late nighter and after most people had gone to be is when I got my fears of drinking... you know, "Nobody will know" kinda thing.

Check them out here http://www.e-aa.org/talk.php
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

BaskingRunner
Forums Newcomer

Post by BaskingRunner » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:55 am

I am a late nighter and after most people had gone to be is when I got my fears of drinking... you know, "Nobody will know" kinda thing.
Yeah, that's my biggest concern with using only online chats and forums... it's way too easy to bail out. LOL I reached out to my cousin (who has been a recovering alcoholic for over a year) and she put me in touch with her sponsor. I also re-checked that website that had the list of F2F meetings in my area and discovered I wasn't reading the page right. There are meetings throughout the week, not just on Sundays. The way their website was laid out just made this a little confusing. :-)

I will check out e-aa's chat meetings. I already started attending one from another site, but it doesn't hurt to explore!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:29 am

Going to face to face meetings was really important to me... It made me more accountable and it gave me ACTION which I really really needed. I gave gals rides to meetings daily for 90 days or so, went to assemblies and conferences and District functions. BUT one of the most important thing for me was to be able to look in their eyes and have them look in mine. I needed that to know the truth: that this program really works.

A gal in my city who contacted me through the District website now goes to a lot of meetings in the city and a good friend of mine is her sponsor. She sent me an email to thank me for my original response to her and for helping her find a "first meeting" where I met her. She will be getting a one year chip in a couple of weeks and she invited me to come see the celebration!

This thing works IF you work it. You can't "think" it - you have to DO it. You never have to drink again. You can be the gal who responds to a call for help from another woman and then see her celebrate her recovery. Grab a hold of this thing, this thin reed in a storm, and hold on for Dear Life. Have faith that if I can do it YOU can do it!

Join us here in the Daily Reflections meetings and come everyday for a spiritual boost! It is just one of the many things I do to maintain my sobriety. :)
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:36 am

Just for fun... here are the 9th Step Promises, from page 83 of the Big Book...
Just for fun, here are the 9th step Promises.
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and selfpity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:58 am

Thanks Paige :D

I heard those promises in meetings and never thought I'd be able to achieve them in my life. So I didn't even try. As it turned out, even I was entitled ☺ I just had to do what the rest of you had done, take those steps!!

:mrgreen: Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Post by tomsteve » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:31 am

Welcome,Julie.
One thing I'd suggest ya do is look differently at the functioning alcoholic thing. Although yu may not have experienced withdraws, how functioning is your thinking?

You can find the big book of AA online to read. It lays it what it means to be an alcoholic and has the steps we took with many,many promises- primises well beyond that of having the alcohol problem removed.

2granddaughters

Post by 2granddaughters » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:50 am

I didn't get "virtually" drunk and I won't get "virtually" recovered either.

The magic happens at the F2F meetings.

Between meetings, especially in the Canadian winter, I sit with a coffee on-line and try to encourage folks to go to the meetings.

I am retited and today is one of my "blessing" days. 2 meetings today .... one morning and one evening. A peace/serenity double header !! :D

All the best.

Bob R