hi. I'm new. it's day one for me.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
silvraynebow
Forums Newcomer

hi. I'm new. it's day one for me.

Post by silvraynebow » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi, my name is nicole and I'm an alcoholic. I never really thought I was. I also never thought I would be. It all started with a free shot of tequilla I recieved while eating mexican. A couple years later I can drink 3 and a half liters in a week. I have anxiety and it's been my favorite reason. I used to drink once in awhile but now there's only a day once in awhile where I don't aND those are becoming fewer. I regret it the minute I go to bed and worse in the morning. I know I have a long way to go, but I'm happy I'm at least heading in the right direction.

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Re: hi. I'm new. it's day one for me.

Post by Tommy-S » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Welcome, Nicole.

I haven't met any one yet who 'planned' on becoming Alcoholic... just wasn't one of those things I dreamed of, you know :)

But I am grateful today for AA... first, because I found out I wasn't alone, and secondly, because of the help I found in AA. Today I have a life that is worth living.

So hang in there, keep putting off that drink 1 day, one hour at a time, if need be. I am sure the ladies here will soon introduce themselves. In the meantime, if you need someone to talk you out of a drink, check out your local AA Intergroup or Central Office... you can find their number listed on AA's main page at www.aa.org. The call is Free & Confidential.

There's strength in numbers, so stick around.

Thanks... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Post by 4thDimension » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:57 pm

Welcome Nicole,

If you think you are an alcoholic, you're in the right place.

It was not my ambition to become an alcoholic. I tried everything to drink like "normal" people. It wasn't possible, and since the disease is progressive, it got worse. Finally it got so bad there was nothing left to do but ask for HELP! Been going to meetings and working the steps for many days at a time. Over 10,000 of them. This thing works when we want it badly enough and work it.

Good luck to you. Put the plug in the jug, go to meetings, get a sponsor, work the steps.

amont
Forums Enthusiast

Post by amont » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:45 pm

Welcome nicole! You've found the right place for your problem. There are a lot of people here are willing to listen, to read your threads and give you support and advice

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:29 am

Hello and welcome, Nicole :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:17 am

echo others by saying you are in the right place. Sometimes when we realize we are drunks we actually can have better quality of lives over time because we have removed some stumbling blocks that the "normal" folks haven't figured out are issues in their lives.

try and remember that via hope we will overcome and overcoming will bring better days you'll be able to manage to a better degree.

Peace.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

silvraynebow
Forums Newcomer

Post by silvraynebow » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:44 am

Thankyou everyone. I feel like I dreamt all night long that I had drank. I couldn't remember doing it, but I knew I had and was upset I screwed up already. I woke up feeling like I had an 8 hr panic attack. I'm exhausted.

2granddaughters

Post by 2granddaughters » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:12 am

silvraynebow wrote:Thankyou everyone. I feel like I dreamt all night long that I had drank. I couldn't remember doing it, but I knew I had and was upset I screwed up already. I woke up feeling like I had an 8 hr panic attack. I'm exhausted.
Ah, those 'drinking dreams" .. they are scary aren't they ?? They seem more real than reality !

They will pass as we go along in recovery.

Are you attending AA meetings?
Those thoughts/feelings/emotions were so intense in the beginning that I could not have handled them by myself.
I needed the continuing support of my sponsor and Home Group oldtimers to get me through the first hurdles.

I was told that I had a 5% drinking problem and a 95% thinking problem. I haven't had a drink for 25 yrs but my thinking still "needs some work" 8)
That's why I hang close to the face-to-face AA meetings ( I just visit on-line forums "between meetings" ).
For me the magic began, and still does, at the meetings.

Please Google and read "AA how it works". Get a Home Group & a sponsor. I need to be with people... my people in recovery.

I didn't get "virtually" drunk and I know I couldn't get "virtually" sober.

All the best.

Bob R

silvraynebow
Forums Newcomer

Post by silvraynebow » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:36 am

I never learned to drive and I can't stand asking for rides. Enough people have reminded me of what a hassle it is. They feel that if I want to get around I need to learn to drive. My anxiety disorder gets in the way, even after professional help. I feel uncomfortable leaving the house for anything social. It's a mess, I know. I know I need to find a way and get to a meeting but I can't bring myself to commit to the idea. I can say that I am committed to this at least.

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:54 am

It's great you're here, that's why we're here :)

You may not be comfortable asking friends and family for rides, but AA members are different. If you get a ride from an AA member you're doing him or her a favor. You're helping that person stay sober.

Call Alcoholics Anonymous in your phone book and ask for help getting to a meeting.as far as the social anxiety goes, that's a big part of their alcoholism for a lot of people. It may be hard to deal with it, but for me the alternative was worse.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Post by Roberth » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:18 am

Hello Nicole and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. I will tell you what they told me when I first came to AA and that was “I would never have to take another drink if I didn’t want to, and even if I wanted to I wouldn’t have to if I was willing to do a few simple things.” that has been true for me for over 22 years.
I do regret some of the things I did while sober but I have never regretted being sober……not even for a minute.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!

silvraynebow
Forums Newcomer

Post by silvraynebow » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:41 pm

In had not occurred to me that I may be able to find a ride with someone in aa. Lol. Thankyou for the idea.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi Nicole! Welcome! One of the favorite things that we AA folk do is give rides. If you are able you can chip in for gas, but I mostly give rides for free and I go to 4 meetings a week sometimes! Once you get to your first meeting, ask for the phone numbers of the women there and tell people you are looking for rides... I usually only drive women and suggest to gals I know to ride with women - though I realize that might not always be possible. If it is not, ask the women to tell you which of the guys are a good candidate for rides.

And call the numbers above or google your city name and aa - you will likely get a good lead there. Or you can Private Message me and I will help you find meetings in your area - maybe even find a woman near you that can help you get started!

Glad you found us here! We have a good group of folks here at e-aa and besides this Forum we have live chat meetings and email meetings! Learn more at this link http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=58
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:35 pm

I'm so happy to have said something useful! Thanks for letting me know :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

whipping post
Forums Contributor

Post by whipping post » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Welcome and enjoy the ride!