Mush brain

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Mush brain

Postby indiana6 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:37 pm

I am one month sober. Throughout the day my head still feels weird from time to time. It is hard to describe. Sometimes it is like I have a hive of bees buzzing around in there. Sometimes it is just cloudy and hard to focus. Sometimes it is almost like I have a little buzz on. (but not a good feeling....more like a hang over without the headache) Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how long does it last? The persistent headaches, night sweats, and terrifying dreams have finally started to subside.
indiana6
Forums Newcomer

Re: Mush brain

Postby indiana6 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:41 pm

I drink a lot of coffee and two mountain dews throughout the day. Could that be part of it? In reality I don't ingest a lot more caffeine than I did when I was drunk but I suppose the effects from the amount of alcohol may have masked the effects of the caffeine it drank.
indiana6
Forums Newcomer

Postby Lali » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:44 pm

Coffee in large amounts will cause shaking. Add to that Moutain Dew which is packed with sugar. I suggest that you check the caffeine content on the MD, but its likely that you are drinking way too much caffeine in your coffee . On the other hand, I suppose it is possible you may still be suffering some residual effects from withdrawal.

I would suggest that you drink as much water as you possibly can. You must stay hydrated. :D And try to add a little caffeine free coffee into your regular coffee in order to cut down on that. The brand of coffee I buy sells what is called "1/2 caf" coffee. I buy that because I like the taste of coffee but can't take too much caffeine.

And by all means, please get started with meetings no matter how you feel.
Last edited by Lali on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby maurits » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Lali wrote:
And by all means, please get started with meetings no matter how you feel.

yes i can relate,

in early recovery, i drank coffee as if my life depended on it :-)

my nerves already needed extra time to regenerate,

nowadays i seldom drink coffee, but when i do, i calmly enjoy it,

hug, maurits
maurits
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tommy-S » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:12 pm

Conrats on the 1 month...That's huge!

And I can relate... it took a couple months for me to find a smidgeon of 'normalicy", and sleep and those dreams remained a problem for a while.

I got a sponsor, though, and he suggested I end my day with a letter... He said write to God, and I told him I didn't like God. So he told me to write to my Dad. I didn't like my Dad (then) but that was something I could do.

Something about putting things on paper took them out of my head and shut off that 'record playing' that would go around and around all night long, and I began to get the rest I needed after the abuse I put my body through.

Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly... Get to meetings and find a sponsor. This stuff really does work.

Thanks... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:40 pm

I can certainly relate as well. Someone pointed out that it had been a long time since I'd spent a full day sober so it was probably pretty unrealistic for me to think i should know how it's supposed to feel like. One thing I did early on was make myself some self-guided meditation tapes. I would listen to them every night when I went to bed. Often I went to sleep listening, but either way, they really helped to slow the squirrels down.

Congratulations on sticking with it. Together we can. Keep coming back.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Texan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:11 pm

All the above are nothing less than what I would suggest. I little something sweet might help though. Get a little sugar in that system of yours. I've always been told that alcohol is converted to sugar once consumed. If that's the case, your system could be crying out for a little sugar. I don't drink coffee, but could float a boat with all the iced tea I drink. When I drank, I preferred my tea unsweetened. When I quit, I started drinking sweet tea. Not too sweet, but half sweet and half unsweetened when out. Now I've switch to an artificial sweetener in my home brew.

Oh, and a big congrat's on the month! That's awesome!

Tex
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.
Texan
Forums Long Timer

Postby RichG » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:50 am

indiana6 wrote:I am one month sober. Throughout the day my head still feels weird from time to time. It is hard to describe.

indiana6 wrote: Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how long does it last? The persistent headaches, night sweats, and terrifying dreams have finally started to subside.

Well done on your month idiana6!!!!!!!!!

I had an experience yesterday (day 21 for me). I drank a can of red bull in the morning at work because I had a awful nights sleep and very little for breakfast (stupid).

On my way home my "head went" and I felt a rush of panic lethargy and negativity come over me from nowhere. I realized after ten minutes I had not eaten properly all day and the post red bull crash on top was causing this. Once I got some food and chocolate inside me i felt great.

Its surprising to me just how much the term HALT comes in to play. You may have heard this but it's really helped me out to be aware for and act on it asap because our alcoholism loves us to be in any of these conditions

H-hungry
A-angry
L-lonely
T-tired

I bet you feel great now your getting some sleep again and its REAL sleep I love it I have so much more energy already. We have beaten our bodies up with alcohol but I'm told daily at meetings these things straighten out over time. Keep it up! :D
RichG
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Easy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:17 pm

RichG wrote:I had an experience yesterday (day 21 for me). I drank a can of red bull in the morning at work because I had a awful nights sleep and very little for breakfast (stupid).

On my way home my "head went" and I felt a rush of panic lethargy and negativity come over me from nowhere. I realized after ten minutes I had not eaten properly all day and the post red bull crash on top was causing this. Once I got some food and chocolate inside me i felt great.

Its surprising to me just how much the term HALT comes in to play. You may have heard this but it's really helped me out to be aware for and act on it asap because our alcoholism loves us to be in any of these conditions

H-hungry
A-angry
L-lonely
T-tired

I bet you feel great now your getting some sleep again and its REAL sleep I love it I have so much more energy already. We have beaten our bodies up with alcohol but I'm told daily at meetings these things straighten out over time. Keep it up! :D

Drinking coffee or energy drinks (red bull) on an empty stomach in the morning is never a good idea, but I relate to the situation when you have to be mentally awake despite poor sleep. Caffeine stimulates the release of stress hormones (epinephrine and cortisol), and without food it makes me nervous and anxious. I will remember HALT!
Easy
Forums Newcomer

Postby Noels » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 am

:D I must be a walking coffee bean as I have between 10 and 12 cups a day. Or shall I say - mugs. Cups are way too small. Two and a half heaped spoons full of coffee and four sugars with a dash of milk. My last cuppa is on my way to bed :D I experience no "caffeine highs" and sleep like a baby. Red bull and other energy drinks do zero to or for me. I don't drink them simply because I don't like the taste. It taste like alcohol to me. So from my point of view not being able to sleep and getting affected by caffeine is an old wife's tale :D There is only 1 drink for an alcoholic who stopped drinking and that is .... coffee. The stronger the better :mrgreen:
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby tyg » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:17 am

In my neck of the woods, AA members strongly suggest newcomers to see a Doctor and get a thorough check up to make sure there is no damage to liver, kidneys, and other things. Alcohol abuse can do a lot of damage to our bodies. Sounds to me your body has been going through withdrawals. These symptoms vary hugely from person to person. The buzzing in your brain might be part of alcohol abuse. I know mine was. I heard buzzing in my head for a few weeks after quitting when I tried to focus on TV or reading. I was not able to focus and my brain let me know by buzzing in my head. My Doctor said it was beginning of brain damage. Here I thought it was the medicines they were giving me in the hospital. But mine went away in about a month. I realize over my first year sober that my body had a lot of healing to do physically due to my drinking.

So I would suggest to see a Doctor about it and get a complete physical. Stay hydrated, eat lots of fruits and veggies and take a daily vitamin. During the day, Drink juices or have some candy to help the body level out from lack of sugars alcohol used to provide. Take time to do something for yourself each day like take a walk, read a book, listen to music or whatever.

Alcoholism is a disease but we can arrest it. If you are alcoholic and want to recover. Go to meetings and talk to other alcoholics there. Find another alcoholic to take you through the 12 Steps A.S.A.P.. It's by doing these things we find the power to not ever want a drink again.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Return to For the Newcomer