Deaf/hearing impaired in Recovery

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
soap
Forums Newcomer

Deaf/hearing impaired in Recovery

Post by soap » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Gday all.. I am profoundly deaf from Australia and I first came to this site over a year ago. I've had a very bumpy ride over this time, and I've reached a point where I realise that my drinking can no longer continue. I am hurting myself and those close to me in my life. I've learned that things in my life will not change for the better unless I change the way I see and live my life. This is still a new journey for me. I've had a slip up last weekend after being sober for nearly a month (why, why why???!!!) I think I just wanted 'time-out' from the constant negativity my mind puts on myself. I know logically alcohol will not make this go away, and it's something I have to keep working through. So I'm back on the wagon again, and my hope is that I will stay on forever. Having access to support in my recovery has been very difficult here due to communication issues (am deaf) and lack of resources. I have been fortunate to have met some one who has volunteered her time to interpret for me at an AA meeting once a fortnight, it has given me an insight as to what those face-face meetings have to offer. I've taken more time over the past few weeks to browsing more of this site again, and will have the courage to contribute here more from this time on... I hope that in future I can help other people too, especially those who are limited in their access to support services. thanks e-AA for still being around. :)
Soap

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Re: Deaf/hearing impaired in Recovery

Post by Tommy-S » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:24 pm

Welcome back Soap,

That 'rematch with Alcohol' could be a blessing in disguise. I wasn't a first time winner, either. Got my head full of knowledge the first 6 weeks of AA, telling a shipmate "I got this AA, I got this GOD stuff" when he invited me to a meeting in port... then drink.

But that was the blessing, as it gave me the Gift of Desperation. I was willing to do whatever it took daily for Victory over Alcohol, and date was my last drink. (It's been many 24 hours since)

We don't shoot our wounded.

As the Big Book & 12 x 12 are now available on the AA web site in the US (http://www.aa.org), I imagine you can find them 'down under', also. (If not, try adding a country code to our site...like http://www.aa.org/us???... to check out AA New York.)

Glad you made it back... make that last drink your Permanent Sobriety Date turn it into the beginning of a second chance at life... It's a good life, too.

Thanks... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Post by Marc L » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:00 pm

G'Day 2U2;
I'm Marc and I'm Alcoholic.
There is some fun stuff on here.
Take a look around and Browse some. :D
Put this in your pocket: Image

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:48 am

Welcome soap. Glad you found us! e-aa has been a real game changer for me... allowing me access to the recovering community 24/7! E-aa has live chat meeting at various times and a "speaker" meeting Tuesdays at 230. That has just past, but check it out at http://www.e-aa.org/chat.php

Also, AA.org has a subpage for special needs in AA. please look into that ok?
http://aa.org/lang/en/subpage.cfm?page=273

This program works when you work it. I got busy right away and I am glad I did. I hope you too will jump into the middle of AA and stay there! Keep coming back!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:09 am

Hi Soap,

I know a few profoundly blind people in A.A., but being deaf has got to be a toughie to deal with. I guess it can feel very isolating at times. I've no experience to share with regards deafness (though I often don't listen :lol: ); but this forum is a great way to communicate and without it, I'm not sure I'd be here.

On-line sponsorship is something that's on offer here, maybe you could ask about that? (I have a face-to-face sponsor, so don't know much about online sponsorship.) What we have in A.A. is a spiritual program of recovery - sounds weird - or at least it did to me, but it's class.

Anyway, I'm glad you're here.

Regards,

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Post by Hanna » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:58 am

soap wrote:Gday all.. I think I just wanted 'time-out' from the constant negativity my mind puts on myself. I know logically alcohol will not make this go away, and it's something I have to keep working through. Soap
Welcome here, stay and read the stories. You will see that it is possible to live differently, purposely and peacefully. Someone here told me "if I take a drink things will get worse, if I don't I will sort this stuff out". I took that advice and stayed here to learn more. My life has improved considerably since I decided to stay hear and listen 8 months ago.
I hope you stay.
Keep posting Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Post by johnd » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:13 am

Welcome back Soap,
Yes we are still here hope you can stay along with us One Day At A Time, Keep Coming. John D.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:50 am

I'm with Tosh. I get accused of not listening pretty much on a daily basis. I call is selective hearing.

Welcome, Soap. I'm sure there are meeting for the hearing impaired, but would assume one would have to be in a larger, metropolitan area to find them. Maybe you could start a group where you are! In the meanwhile, e-AA can be a valuable resource to you. As echoed above, there are many stories and threats here that you can draw strength from, resources available through e-AA you can use in lieu of actually being at f2f meetings and so forth. I'm glad you're here and hope to read more of you in the near future.

For me, in early recovery, e-AA was a God send. You can only be in attendance at so many meetings in a days time. I went to two a day early on. When not there, and when the urge really got strong, I was here pouring over these pages and reading everything I could about my illness. You can garner a lot of experience, strength and hope from what folks have typed in here. You can get answers to questions related to recovery here. Though not always in real time, you will get a response.

I hope the best and look forward to seeing you around again soon.

Bill
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:31 am

Hi soap! Welcome! Glad you're here. My name is Ed, and I am an alcoholic. I also found E-AA to be a great place for recovery, in addition to f2f meetings. You know, there's lots of folks, I have discovered, that rely on text and reading very much in their sharing of experience, strength and hope. This may be a great resource for you. Might I suggest looking into a temporary online sponsor? This group has such a program that hooks up newcomers online with folks in recovery to work one on one within the framework of the steps. Just look in the forum titled "Other Places Within E-AA" and you should find a link to getting help now. Just send a message through that link, and you will get hooked up! Good luck, soap.... hope to see and read more from you here!!

Thanks, Ed

soap
Forums Newcomer

Post by soap » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:11 am

Wow :o Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement. Lots of ideas. I will not overwhelm myself with too much info. I need to remind myself to keep things simple and not feel the need that I must do and achieve everything straight away, it sets me into a panic otherwise. I have a bad habit of being hard on myself... As you all say, One day at a time, and I am glad I've lived today and took good care of myself.
Soap

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Hey soap - here is what sets off my panic... living in the future.... When I think any further out that this very minute, I become afraid.

I ran across this post of a non-AA reading yesterday...
If you find your here and now intolerable and it makes you unhappy, you have three options: remove yourself from the situation, change it, or accept it totally. If you want to take responsibility for your life, you must choose one of those three options, and you must choose now. Then accept the consequences. No excuses. No negativity. No psychic pollution. Keep your inner space clear... Eckhart Tolle
If I am living in the past or in the future things never feel tolerable.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Chairman Pex
Forums Newcomer

Post by Chairman Pex » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:21 am

Well, well, hello there. I'm not going to mention my name here (I don't trust online encounters). The local people around here call me Pex, so let's use that. I'm a Deaf addict who lives in Texas. I have been struggling with use due to betrayls, major depression, suicide attempts and et cetera. I'm currently in a treatment program and have been doing well, I am nearly three months clean now. But I'm the only Deaf client in a hearing treatment program and I would like to find an online AA support for the Deaf or an online sponsor whom are also Deaf, so that way the sponsor might relate to my situation because of the better understanding of what it's like to be a Deaf person struggling with addiction. I have tried countless times looking for a Deaf AA group or a sponsor here in my city, but the only one I could find in Texas is six hours from where I live, so I decided to give online AA a try. Any information or referrals would be extremely helpful. I look forward to hearing from someone in the Deaf community who want to reach out to those in need of help. Anybody else who want to contact me, email me at *** link removed due to Forum policy***. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Pex
Peregrinus X

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:22 am

Welcome Pex. People can click on your name here and leave you a Private Message through these boards or maybe find your email.

You can find out Links policy here: http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8

But feel free to look around these boards! And we have live chat meetings and email meeting that might be just right for you too! http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=58

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:32 am

Hi Pex! Glad you found us. Occasionally I read that a member here is deaf, but normally that doesn't come up as hearing isn't needed to communicate in our email, chat and forums venues.

You might want to submit your request for a deaf sponsor to our temporary sponsor committee which you can reach using this form: http://www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php

Hope to keep reading you here :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Post by Roberth » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:50 am

Helo soap and welcome back. you might want to get in touch with your General Service Office http://www.aa.org.au. if they are anything like aren't here in the states they might be able to put you in touch with others who are hearing impaired close to you
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!