Chips??

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Chips??

Postby donarita » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:42 am

I have a general chip question. How many chips does one take/ask for/expect for one anniversary? I find myself building a resentment toward a member of my home group that has stood up for a four-month chip three times this week. :roll:
donarita
Forums Newcomer

Re: Chips??

Postby positrac » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:10 am

My experience has been at all of the various meetings I have attended is that 24 hour chips are normally given to that individual that keeps slipping and or someone needs to feel energized about sobriety. But other chips might be one and move on. But I guess the meeting has no issues and so maybe let it go and work on not getting the resentment because that person is not worth you getting drunk just because of a silly piece of plastic.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Jojo2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:17 am

Welcome to the discussion forums at e-AA, Donarita.
That's an interesting and thought provoking question and not something I have ever come across before.
Speaking from my experience in the UK, I have attended meetings in many different areas and there are very few meetings that issue 'chips'.
My home group has always issued these and people travel from a wide radius to receive their yearly anniversary 'chips' at our meeting.
It would be very difficult to acquire more than one for the same anniversary; indeed this begs the question why anyone would wish to do so. If the opportunity arose, one would imagine the individual would state they had already received their 'chip' and politely decline.
We also have a tradition whereby we return our previous 'chip' on receipt of the new one although I have heard some admit to retaining a collection of the yearly ones and some trade all their monthly plastic 'chips' when they collect their first bronze yearly anniversary 'chip' to celebrate reaching one year.
Individuals may have received more than one 'desire chip' as newcomers I imagine, but I haven't come across this particular 'chip' in the UK.
I have learned to not overly concern myself with what others do. It is quite enough to focus on my actions and reactions. I remember being told that resentments are a luxury that alcoholics can't afford!
Newcomers learn from good practice and perhaps this is just new and unfamiliar territory with anxiety about a refusal possibly being interpreted as rude or ungrateful?
Glad you have joined us.
Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:05 am

Usually the anniversary chip is one, I have seen people pick few times in that week. Just to show the newcomers its possible. Other chips, other than the white one, is usually picked just one time and they dont get to talk.

But with all said, if what is said is ticking you off, you will have to take it to your higher power and find peace. Its not worth it.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:13 am

Where I attend meetings is an Alano club so the meetings are separate groups. It is normal for someone to pick up a chip at each group they normally attend, and at one of the monthly celebrations.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am

I only take one chip per anniversary, but that is me and my reasons are mine. Others may take different amounts and have different reasons for their choices.

When I find myself getting a resentment, for any reason, I endeavor to take full advantage of the wonderful opportunity being presented to me, to explore the inner workings of my mind and gain some insight!
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Todd M » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:34 am

My home group is large.
We encourage recycling chips, except for the 24 hour, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, those ones are cheap
When a member takes his/her 2 year to trade in their 1 year, the annuals are more expensive.
Cost for a large group to purchase chips can become a high expense.
There is Hope, Todd M
Keep it Simple

The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link:
http://www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
Todd M
Forums Long Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Why does it bother you? AA itself doesn't "do" chips, so this is a group decision.

I think I could be more resentful at people who keep picking up the newly-sober "white chips" I hear about. Any more than 1 of these seems to make it a bit of a farce.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Thanks for your replies Re: Chips??

Postby donarita » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:59 am

Thank you all for the welcome, and for your insights about my question. Several of you nailed it on the head when you asked what concern should it be of mine, thanks for the bonk! It should be no worry to me, right? I prayed on my resentment and for guidance over the past 24 hours, and my HP has led me to a peaceful spot. I thought about what I know of this young man’s journey, and remembered that he has a brother and many friends dealing with addiction as well. I am hopeful he is gathering chips to share with them during teachable moments. It doesn’t matter why he needs them, only that they give him a sense of accomplishment and comfort.

My judgey head is my problem! I’m such a scorekeeper for everyone else, I need to remember to turn that off, and be patient, tolerant, kind, loving and compassionate. Thank you all for giving me just that!
donarita
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:30 am

I’m such a scorekeeper for everyone else

The segment right after how it works, Bill has a nice parable of a play director, how he tries to control others. But my alcoholic mind thinks, as a director, he has to exert himself! We are convoluted up there.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer